53. He was my home

The blinding pain was down to a dull ache. I think it was probably the pain medication that the nurse had given me. I didn't think I wanted to know what I'd feel like without it.

I had a concussion, a few broken ribs, and my body was basically all bruises. The one upside was that I was going to be able to leave. They kept me long enough to monitor my head injury but now I was going to be able to go home.

The one problem was that I didn't really have a home to go back to.

That one thought was enough to pull me back into my miserable pit of depression. I'd been battling that off since I woke up, even the angry looking police officer didn't cause me to spiral. I hadn't told him much of anything but when he started to imply that Jake had been the one to hurt me I made sure to shut that down as quick as I could. I didn't know if I wanted my father to go to jail but I'd rather throw him under the bus than let anything happen to Jake.

Luckily I hadn't need to say anything because the nurse had told him I needed to rest and escorted him out the second I seemed to get upset with the questions. But now the officer was gone and the doctors were telling me I could go home. Those words had been what caused the inevitable spiral.

I'd lost both my parents. I'd lost my father years ago and his actions hadn't been a surprise but my mom was different. I'd always seen her as a guardian angel, the person who looked after me and cared for me. Our relationship had been strained over the years due to my fathers abuse but I'd loved her. She had been the last thread of family I had.

Now I had nothing.

I didn't know how long I was sitting in my room on my own but the door didn't open until I was starting to try to wrestle some clothes on.

There was a soft knock on my hospital room door and I barely got out a come in before it was being pushed open. I felt nothing but relief when I saw those warm brown eyes and dark hair.

Sitting in this room I had felt like I had nothing but seeing Jake walking into the room made me realize that I wasn't alone. I had Jake and a family that wasn't blood.

"Ev," Jake's voice cracked slightly as he set eyes on me.

This was the first time I was able to see him since I got to the hospital. They'd locked down my visitors to family only but with the police finally getting to talk to me I was able to have visitors again. Seeing Jake had made everything so much better.

"Hi." I gave him a sheepish smile.

"Evan I- god I just," he stumbled over his words but seemed to give up as he closed the distance between us taking my face into his hands to just look at me.

"I'm okay, everything is okay." I rested my hand on his where it was cupping my cheek.

"I thought you weren't, I found you and I thought-," he paused trying to collect himself but I could see the moisture in his eyes.

"I'll take more than that to get rid of me." I joked needing something to break this up because I couldn't handle the sadness, if I let myself break I didn't think I could put myself back together.

Jake didn't laugh or smile but my words seemed to ease him a little. He pulled away slightly to look at my state of dress. I had pulled on my sweatpants but the clean hoodie was resting next to me untouched. It'd taken enough out of me to just get my pants on, I didn't think I could get myself to move any more.

"You need some help getting dressed?" He asked.

I didn't have anything left in me to deny the help so I just nodded.

Jake worked carefully as he helped pull the hoodie over my head and get my arms through the sleeves. It hurt to move but we went slow and every touch from Jake was soft and gentle. He was touching me like I might break any second and I wasn't entirely sure I wouldn't.

"Do you have my phone? I should probably call Becca, she could let me stay with her for at least a few days and-," I started rambling.

"You're coming home with me." Jake cut me off with a stern look.

I knew that expression and it meant he wasn't going to let me argue with him. I didn't want him to feel like he had to give me a place to stay. I had driven here and practically forced his hand and that wasn't fair. But at the same time I didn't want to be anywhere but by his side right now.

"I don't want you to feel like-,"

"Evan I'm not arguing about this. I want you with me, I need you by my side right now." He interrupted me again.

I could see the pain on his face. I might have been the one to have gotten hurt but he'd found me. I'd put him through that. It'd been a reflex at the time to get to Jake but now I felt the guilt of making him see me like that set in. I'd tried to shield him from the truth for so long and now there was no hiding.

After everything I was allowed to just let myself have this. I could give him the last pieces of me. I could be selfish and be with the boy I loved.

"Ok." I nodded lightly. "I need you too."

I felt like I needed to voice the words so he knew that it wasn't one sided. I needed him to know I wanted him next to me just as much even if it was hard to let myself have it.

"Come on let's get you home." Jake smiled and pressed a light kiss to the top of my head still being extra careful with my injuries.

The word home felt foreign in my ears. I didn't really have a home anymore.

I was homeless.

I looked up at Jake and found him still looking at me his eyes filled with love and concern. Jake had made me feel safer than I'd ever felt in my life. He made me feel loved and cared for.

He was my home and I didn't know for how long that had been true.

A/n:

I've been sitting on an idea for a bit and I figured I would get some feedback. I was thinking about making this a three book series, I already have the second book planned out but I had an idea for a third. It would be a little different than the first two and would follow an asexual main character. I didn't know if that would be something you guys would be interested in and if you would be I'll put some work into developing the story some more.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I've been doing a lot of writing this weekend so I'm hoping to get a chapter to you some time this week before Friday.

-Cora Leigh