51. Saying goodbye

When I woke up the pain wasn't the first thing I felt. It was the warmth. I didn't expect to be warm in the middle of the winter outside on my porch. But there was a warmth and a slight weight on top of me.

I blinked myself into full consciousness and the pain finally hit me in full force as I tried to move. The weight on me was from a pile of blankets. Someone had put the covers from my bed over me. I knew it had been my mom but I didn't have it in me to care. I couldn't care what she'd done because I only cared about what she didn't do. The way she'd stood there and just watched. It broke me more than every hit.

I groaned softly as I tried to move again. I didn't know how long I was out for but it was starting to get dark out. I needed to get out of here before I died on this front porch.

It was a crushing amount of pain as I pushed myself up. When I was finally sitting I saw my suitcase next to me, my phone and keys resting on top. I grabbed the two items and shoved them into the pocket of my hoodie. I held the blankets tightly to my body as the cold started to seep in.

It felt hopeless that I was even going to make it off this stupid porch. I needed to but the way to my car just seemed too far. Maybe it was over, maybe this was it.

I let that thought stir for a second before Jake's face bounced around my head.

No.

I couldn't stay here. I couldn't give up. If I was going to die I would after I got to see that face at least one more time.

It was all determination and a little bit of adrenaline that got me to stand up. I used the fence around the porch to keep me on my feet as I grabbed my bag. Thankfully it had wheels because I didn't have the strength to carry it. I hobbled my way forward using the railing to keep me going. I took it one step at a time. Each time my foot moved I counted it as a win.

I was shaking the whole way to the car. I didn't know if it was the cold or my body fighting against the pain. I used all my strength to push my bag into the backseat. The second it was in my car I collapsed against the seat needing a second to try to get myself up again. I used the time to try to catalog my body.

My side was burning and each breath hurt worse than the last. I had a feeling I had at least one broken rib. My face felt damp and sticky, I didn't know how much of it had blood on it but I probably wasn't great to look at right now. I looked down at myself. It was then that I noticed my hoodie was a bloody mess. Either my face was bleeding a lot more than I thought or I was bleeding someone else too.

I couldn't let myself sit here and think about it for too much longer. I could feel that pull to darkness trying to take me again. I just wanted to shut my eyes and sleep for a little bit longer but I needed to get out of here.

I pushed myself up again, clenching my jaw to stop the pained cry from releasing. Each step was one step closer to where I needed to be.

Those muscular arms, warm brown eyes, that sinful mouth. I wanted to be there more than anything. So I just kept going. I slid into the drivers seat fumbling with my keys as I tried to get the car to start.

Once I heard the roar of the engine I relaxed slightly in the seat. I was leaving, I was getting out of here alive. The next thing I did was pull my phone out of my pocket. It didn't take long to find the address I had programmed into my phone. Well Jake had done that. He'd set everything up because he wanted to make sure I was all set up to make the drive for New Years. All I had to do was press start and the voice started giving out instructions.

My brain was fuzzy and I didn't want to listen, I didn't think I could. I blinked fast a few times trying to get myself to wake the fuck up. I needed to focus.