52. Making everything worse

Jake's pov:

I paced up and down the nerves not settling. I couldn't just sit and wait around. I needed to do something but I felt so fucking helpless.

So I just kept pacing.

"Why don't you sit down?" My mom walked over to me her face full of concern.

"How long is this going to take? Shouldn't I have heard something by now?"

I'd driven Evan to the hospital using his car. I hadn't stopped to even tell my parents I was leaving. My mom had called shortly after I made it to the hospital and I told her then what had happened. It hadn't surprised me when she showed up ten minutes later pulling me into a hug.

"You'll hear something when there is news, you just got to be patient."

I didn't want to be patient. I just wanted to know that Evan was okay.

I continue my anxious pacing. I don't know exactly how long I keep up with it but my head is spinning with thoughts. I've gone through every possible scenario, Evan being ok, Evan being not ok. The very real possibility of what could have happened to Evan if he hadn't gotten to my house safely. Almost two hours he drove to get to me, there is a lot that could have gone wrong in those two hours.

I was in the middle of imagining Evan passing out behind the wheel and crashing his car when someone stepped in front of me blocking my path.

It took me a second to even register who it was. In front of me was a tall man, he was built like a tree and was currently wear a uniform. I felt nerves shoot through me as the man stared me down. I felt like a criminal. I felt like I had done something wrong because he was looking at me like he wanted to slap some cuffs on me and drag me to the nearest jail cell.

I don't know exactly why he was looking at me like that but I found myself taking a small step backwards trying to create some more space between us.

"Jake Oliver? You brought Evan Barrett into the ER?" His voice was low and gruff.

"Um yeah." I nodded.

"I'm officer Barton, can I ask you a few questions about how Mr. Barrett sustained his injuries?"

The police. It hadn't really dawned on me that this would happen. That with the state that Evan was in the police would be notified. I hadn't been prepared to answer any questions. I didn't even really know what happened.

"Can I see him? The nurses haven't even updated me on how he is, I just need to know if he's okay." I avoided the question focusing on Evan and that need to make sure he was okay.

"I need to get statements from both of you and after that the nurses might be able to let you see him. Now can you tell me what happened?"

I couldn't figure out the answer to the question. I didn't know what happened to Evan but I could guess. I had a feeling I knew who'd given him those bruises and left him barely conscious. I knew but he'd never told me for sure. He never felt like he could tell me the extent of how bad his relationship with his parents were. It was just another pain to add to the aching in my chest. He hadn't trusted me with this and I wanted him to.

But if he hadn't told me maybe he didn't want people to know. Maybe he wouldn't want me to tell what I knew to this police officer. It was his story and his decision.

I didn't know what happened and that's all I'd say.

"I don't know how he got hurt. I don't know anything he just showed up like that."

"Showed up?"

"Yeah I found him in his car outside my house." I told the police officer.

"And he had already sustained the injuries when you found him?" The officer eyed me.

And it hit me then what the officer thought, why he'd been staring at me like I was the bad guy. He thought I was, he thought I had done this. My stomach turned at the thought of it, the thought that I could do that to Evan.

"I didn't do this! I- I lo-," I clamped my mouth shut I wouldn't let the first time I said those words be to someone who wasn't Evan. "I wouldn't hurt him." I lowered my voice trying to get some calm back.

"Who do you think you are?" My mom walked right up to the officer, I'd forgotten she'd been sitting behind me for a second. "You can't just walk in here and make these disgusting claims about my son. He didn't do anything, he was at the house all afternoon and then went running outside to find his boyfriend unconscious outside our house. This has been a traumatic day for everyone involved and now here you are making everything worse."

"I'm sorry ma'am but you have to understand I'm just trying to understand what happened. Someone could have died today and I don't take that lightly."

"You shouldn't be apologizing to me, it's my son you've been treating like a criminal." My mom glared at the officer.

"Right, can you go over how you found Mr. Barrett?" He turned back to me not bothering to apologize for implying I was an abuser.

"He called me, the second I heard his voice I knew something was wrong so I started to grab my things so I could go and see him."

"What did he say in the call? Did he tell you anything about what happened?"

I love you.

He hadn't said anything but that. He'd spent the last of his strength to tell me that and I haven't been able to say the words back. I haven't been able to tell him that I love him too.

"He didn't say anything really. Just a few words but the way he was speaking I knew something was up. I didn't think that he was injured like that but it sounded like something was wrong, I thought maybe he was upset about something."

"Alright so he didn't tell you anything about where he was or who he was with?"

"I mean when he called I assumed he was at home but when I stepped outside and found him obviously I was wrong."

"Did he say anything at all when you found him?"

"No he was unconscious when I got to the car. I moved him out of the drivers seat and then drove us straight here." I explained.

"Okay, well I might need to talk to you again with some more questions but I think I have everything I need for now." The officer just gave me a short nod and turned to leave.

It was obvious that no matter what I said he'd believe what he wanted. I didn't really care though because all I cared about was Evan.

I just wanted to see him.