A Survivor Whose Hands Are Stained Red.

I ran through the wood, following the path I had taken the other day to the riverbed

I ran through the wood, following the path I had taken the other day to the riverbed. Dusk was slowly making its way through; the last speckles of sunlight seeping through the tree canopies and lighting the path ahead of me. I sprinted, jumping over bushes and analysing my surroundings. The woods were quiet, the only noise coming from the cold-earth underneath my boots as twigs were snapped, dirt was run over, and mud was splattered.

I prayed that this entire thing wasn't a trap. And as I slowed to a stop, reaching the tree-line and finding Kaden standing alone, looking as nervous as I felt, I readied myself. I stepped from my coverage as the last rays of sunlight kissed the day good-bye.

Kaden turned around, gripping the handle of his hatchet that rested at his side; easing as his eyes fell on me.

He smiled, his nerves seeming to dissipate. "You came," He said, walking towards me.

Standing still, my arms resting at my sides, I looked to him as I spoke. "Our plans have to be changed a little." I said, causing him to come to a slow in his steps. "Our priority is getting Blade out of there, alive." If he even still is alive. "He's more than likely going to be wounded severely, and I need time bought."

Kaden's brows furrowed. "What do you want me to do?"

I was more than a little surprised by his willingness to help, and Lincoln's comment about the man before seemed to be becoming more truthful as time went on.

I licked my lips, continuing, "The Grounders are attacking Camp Sky at first light. Something is going to happen – something big." I wasn't too keen on sharing much information with him till I could study and understand his angles better. "I need you to buy me some time so I can get Blade over that bridge before things go boom. It may cost you your life—"

"I'll do it."

I nodded in appreciation at his sacrifice. I hated risking his life when he was such a useful asset and a kind soul, but Blade was our main priority. Besides, if Blade and I were on the Grounders side of the bridge, there would be no guarantee that we would make it a day. And there was no way in hell I was stopping this bomb from going off, not when so many innocent lives depended on it.

"Lincoln said I could trust you," I said, Kaden's eyes widening at the mention of the Grounder. "Do not screw this up, Kaden, or you'll have hell to pay."

"I treasure your bravery and courage as much as I treasure Leonardo. You can count on me, Quinn. Whatever it takes."

And with that, we were off.

***

Kaden and I had stopped by a pool of mud to rub onto us so that we could blend in to our surroundings a little easier. On the way we had discussed our plan to get inside the camp, but for the remainder of the time, we had both been too caught up in worrying about keeping ourselves calm and ready for anything.