Rescue And Revenge (2)

(3rd person POV)

Wilbur was being unmade.

That was what it was. As he fell through the black, spiraling between what was real and what was imagined, drifting in the space between lie and truth, he felt himself being pulled apart, and then pulled back together. Born and then unborn and then reborn and unmade

Father had called it the crash, but that wasn't quite true. It was crashing and flying and crashing again—the euphoria of flight equaled by the pain of the collapse. It was agony. It was dawn.

It was over.

He hit the ground.

Breathed in, breathed out. The air tasted bitter. Like ash. Like the dust on a guitar case sitting unopened for years.

His ears were ringing, his vision blurring. There was nothing beyond the feel of cold snow under him, coarse and biting. His muddled mind could grasp no thought other than, I need a blanket.

He spat snow and blood out of his mouth and struggled upright, managing to get on his knees before he fell back again, what fight there was left in his body fleeing as his vision finally cleared, and he realized he was watching the end of the world.

The sky was red. The city was burning. Fissures arched across the ground like lightning, chasms leading straight to the underworld. As Wilbur looked on, the earth shook again, and more cracks spread, one breaking open just feet away from him.

Shit, Wilbur thought, scrambling back, his heart in his throat. Shit, shit, shit!

The only structure that remained relatively intact was the church.

And standing at its belltower, at the eye of the storm, was none other than Dream.

He didn't seem to notice Wilbur's reappearance. How could he? In the same way that giants paid no heed to ants, the god had bigger affairs to tend to than a single mortal standing in the wreckage of the only universe he had ever known. 

Dream paced around the circumference of the bell, trailing a hand on its bronze surface, only pausing whenever another earthquake hit. It took Wilbur a few dizzy beats to realize he was causing it. 

With a tilt of his head and a flick of his fingers, the Green God was slowly breaking the world apart, remaking it into another version, another stage.

Wilbur barely registered the thud of another person falling beside him.

"What the—"

Wilbur turned to watch Techno blink groggily at the scene before them, waking from a dream and straight into a nightmare. He already looked so exhausted, pink hair tied loosely back from a face that had seen better days: he was so pale, the only color on his face the dark lines under his eyes. How long had they been fighting?

It felt like years. It was only hours.

"What's going on?" Techno croaked.

"The apocalypse," Wilbur returned.

Techno groaned as he fell back against the ground, burying his face in his arms. "Five minutes," he said. "Let me have five godsdamned minutes without having to deal with this."

"We don't have that much time," Father said.

Wilbur raised his head to see his father touching down on the ground beside him, soundless as the night. His eyes scanned the broken city around him before settling on Techno and Wilbur's discarded weapons—and, because Wilbur could never catch a fucking break, they were sitting leagues away on a slice of earth separated by a dozen criss-crossing lines of fissures.

"When do we ever have enough time?" Techno's voice was muffled by the snow. "Five minutes. That's all I'm asking."

Wilbur groaned in sympathy, even as he accepted Father's offered hand and got to his feet. He reached down and grabbed the back of Techno's tunic, hauling him up so that Techno leaned on him while he leaned on his father. 

The three of them, exhausted in all sense of the word, watched as Dream continued breaking and shattering everything that no longer fit whatever story he wanted to tell next.

"I'll get your weapons," Father said, and Wilbur expected him to fly away to retrieve them, but instead he simply snapped his fingers, and Wilbur's sword and bow, and Techno's trident and chain whip clattered at their feet.

Wilbur glanced with shock at his father. "When did you learn that nifty little trick?"

"Must have picked it up somewhere," Father muttered as Techno wordlessly re-armed himself.

Wilbur bent to retrieve his bow and rapier, surprised to find that his quiver was filled once more with new arrows, with gleaming obsidian feathers as fletching. These gods, Wilbur thought. I'll never understand their silly games.

"This is it, then," Techno said as he spun his trident idly between his fingers. "This ends here. Everything ends here."

"How do we do this?" Wilbur asked. "The last time we think we got him cornered, he just shoved us into some other realm and went on his merry way."

"I won't give him the chance this time," Father said sternly.

Sweat was beading on Techno's forehead despite the cold, but his words were steady when he said, "We'll be your support, Phil. Now, go."

"Not yet," Father said, turning to Wilbur. He lifted his cloak and reached into its inner pocket, pulling out a silver necklace. He pressed it into Wilbur's palm and leaned in to whisper into Wilbur's ear. 

"Find what is sacred to you, and never let go. If you would take any advice from your old man, let it be that."

"Why does it feel like you're saying goodbye?" Wilbur whispered back, curling his fingers around the necklace.

Father stepped back with a small, sad smile. "I'm not," he said. "It's—just in case."

"Just in case?" Wilbur demanded. "In case of what?" Eryn echoed, looking at Techno for clarification.

Another one-shouldered shrug. "Worst-case scenario." Phil said casually.

Wilbur placed the necklace into his pocket. "Sure," he said. "Let's lie to ourselves. It should be easy; we've been doing it for years, haven't we?"

Father blinked, and looked as if he were about to say something else. But then the earth trembled again, a harsh laugh cut through the cold air.

The three of them turned to see that the Green God had finally caught sight of them. He stood at the edge of the belltower, balanced on the balls of his feet as if the dizzying height was of no consequence to him. 

Even from so far below, Wilbur could see the jagged line of his smile carved into his face.

"Hello!" he called out. "Didn't expect you back so soon, I admit." He spread his arms to take in the chaos all around them. "But I guess destruction is more fun when there are witnesses."

Wilbur closed his hand around the hilt of his rapier.

Eryn prepped her katana.

Despite the ache in his soul, he was ready. With Techno on one side and his father on the other, there was little else he needed. The northern winds whistled past them, and if Wilbur listened carefully, he could almost hear the song they were trying to sing.

There were no words left to be said.

They had done this a thousand times before.

a/n

have a good day, afternoon or night wherever you are! 

byeeeeee mah bootyful muffinss!!!