Stay With Me

(Eryn POV)

"Techno? I'll go somewhere first. I'll be back." I left quietly. I figured he needed his own 'me time'.

He walked the ruins alone. Night had fallen, but the moon and stars were hidden by heavy clouds, cloaking the earth in darkness. The sky itself was in mourning.

Tubbo moved through the gloom, the torch in his hand creating shadows that seemed to reach out towards him like helpless ghosts. He stepped mindlessly over the rubble, his feet meeting dirt and stone, and sometimes the flesh of a fallen comrade—or an enemy, but did that matter anymore?—that had not been as lucky as him. His ears were still ringing from the explosion, and his bones felt like a house of cards one whisper away from collapsing, but he was alive. He was alive, when all the others were not.

When the dust had settled and the survivors had come crawling out of the wreckage, Tubbo had counted. They had been warned, of course. They had heard the king's signal and ran as fast as they could, but not all of them were fast enough.

The Royal Army had left the capital city with twenty thousand soldiers. In the end, only eight hundred remained.

Not all of them had been lost to the explosion. Most had already been dead by the time the mountains fell, slain by enemies and their cavalry. But the smell of sulfur still hung in the air like an accusation, following Tubbo as he made his rounds. 

He was meant to be looking for other survivors, but Tubbo had come to know a thing or two about lost causes. He could walk this valley for days, and all he'd find were the broken remains of two armies—a mass grave that would honor no one. 

In a century, people would walk this land again and see only green hills blooming with blue flowers.

The prince was dead. That was what they were saying. Killed in the final moments of the war—its last casualty. A month ago, Tubbo had watched the prince laugh on a balcony, his face lit from within. Now there was no light left anywhere.

Overhead, the clouds broke open, and the heavens began to weep.

It was raining outside. Techno could hear raindrops pounding against the roof of the tent and creeping through the cracks. But the boundless cold he felt was from something else entirely.

He'd collapsed on the ground the moment they'd entered the tent, shivering with his arms around his knees, unable to feel anything beyond the relentless chill. It felt as if his bloodstream had frozen over, with brutal icicles stabbing into him from the inside out.

 And when he'd tried to duck his head into the dark embrace of his arms, a single blue petal had fallen against his skin.

No. He'd ran his hands roughly through his hair, pulling pink strands out from the roots in his desperation to remove the last of the morning glories out of the tangles of his braid. Blood flowed from the places where his fingernails scraped against his scalp, but Techno found that he didn't care. He couldn't care. The whole world could burn around him, and all he would be thinking about were the flowers still caught in his hair, their saccharine scent like poison in his lungs.

He clutched the flowers in his hands, bloodstained and trembling, and threw them as far across the room as he could, where they landed at the feet of the king.

Wilbur sat at the cot his brother slept—used to sleep—in, clutching the broken boy to his chest. He was rocking back and forth, muttering words Techno could not comprehend as he pushed the hair back from Tommy's pale, unmoving face.

Dead. He's dead. He's dead and gone forever. The voices were screaming, clawing against the walls that Techno had set around them and had tried to maintain for years. All for Wilbur. All for Tommy. Now one of them was dead, and the other was dying—there was no doubt about it. 

Wilbur would not survive this. And neither would Techno.

"Techno, I'm back. I saw a...boy somewhere. What in the world are-" I ran forward to hug Techno tight. "Tech, I'm here. Please. Just...I'll get some water. Or stay here." I hugged him closer.

(T3rd person POV)

Blood, the voices demanded, blood for the blood god.

His hands curled into fists, so tightly his nails broke the skin of his palm. Blood trickled down his hands, but it would not be enough. He wanted a massacre. He wanted violent vengeance. And there was nothing and no one on the other side of his anger. All their enemies were dead. There was nowhere to go, but inward.

Techno's knife was still lodged in Tommy's chest, in Tommy's heart. Your fault, the voices began. Blood follows you everywhere you go. Did you think you could outrun it?

He thought he had. By gods, for once in his damned life, he thought he'd finally found somewhere safe. Somewhere where someone knew his bloody past, and cared to. Somewhere with clear skies and a warm garden where he could pretend to be something he could never be. 

Mortal. And now it all came crashing down around him. His farce. His naivete. This was the cost of those halcyon days. He should have left the first chance he got. He should never have met them at all. And Eryn could've not got hurt.

Eryn. He wondered where she was now. And then he remembered. Right by him.

"Wilbur." The name scratched his throat. He could barely hear himself speak. He tried again, putting as much strength in his words as there was left in him. "Wilbur. Let him go."

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Philza raise his head from his silent seat in the corner. He had not said a word since his arrival, not even as they marched back to the tent with Tommy's dead body between them. For once, Techno was glad for his silence. 

If he heard Philza's voice right now, he might just put his trident through the man's chest.

a/n

hate the angst but yeah its there

sooo

have a good day, afternoon or night wherever you are!

byeeeeeeeee mah bootyful muffins!!!