Searchin'

(For C. I. J.)

John crawled under the bed throwing out random, various items. "No, no, no, nope. Oh hey!" John stuck his head out from under the bed, unwrinkling a wadded up paper with tally marks split in five sections. "Remember our tic-tac-toe championship? Well, George won."

"Yes!" The young guitarist exclaimed.

John stuck his head back under the bed throwing out more random things.

........

"Rubber duck, sketch book, megaphone with- ew! What is that? Oh, I was looking for that!" John stuck his head out again. "Hey Ringo, y'know that mystery story you were reading? Guess who did it!"

"I don't wanna know! Don't you dare tell me, John!"

"Wilfenberg did it!"

"WILFENBERG NOOOOOOO!!!" (My school friends would understand)

John stuck his head back under once more. "Sandwich, box of tissues, comb, phone!" He stuck the phone out.

"And it only took you- two hours, forty three minutes, and two point five seconds!"

"New record!"

John looked at the phone for a minute. "You think Paul would mind...?"

"What?"

"I mean, I won't change anything or whatever, just taking a peek on his phone..."

"This'll be interesting..."

"Hmm, password..." John punched in a few letters and got into Paul's phone successfully.

"What did you type in?"

"It was simple- Ellie."

The phone started to ring. "What do I do!?!"

"Answer it!"

"But I can't!"

"Do your best Paul impression and go!" Ringo said, tapping 'Answer'.

A slight sniffle was heard on the other end. "H-Hello? Is this um, Paul McCartney?"

"Um, yes." John lied in his best Paul impression.

"You know Elise Bradford, right?" (I don't honestly remember if I ever gave her a last name, so if there is another one, sorry)

"We're engaged."

The girl on the other end began crying.

"Are you okay, love?"

"Me? Oh, it-it's nothing, it's nothing."

"You sure?"

"Elise- she- she-" More crying and sniffling, poor girl. "She's- gone."

"Gone? What do you mean 'gone'?"

"Um well, she- was in a car crash. She had left to go somewhere and-" She broked down and began more crying. "Why her? She was so young and-"

"Hey, hey, calm down. Don't worry." John thought back about what happened to his mum- hit by a car. He was fighting back tears in his vision impaired eyes. "She- she's in a better place now."

"But, she-"

"Look, I know, it's hard. I knew her well too, we were engaged, but just think of all the time you did get to spend with her over all the time you can't. Just, think happy. Y'know, it just might work."

"I- I guess you're right. I was her cousin, so I knew her pretty well, too. She always told the corniest jokes."

"Yeah, the square root of evil."

The two slightly found some way to laugh.

"If-if you don't mind, I think I should be alone right now."

She hung up the phone and John did so as well.

"Elise is gone. We can't tell Paul."

"Why not?"

"He'll be crushed and God knows what he'd do. We'll patch it up, make a lie, say she ran off with another man and never wants to see him again. Anything that keeps him from kmowing the truth. Anything."