Chap. 17

After exiting the island where the fourth phase was realised. All the participants of the hunter exam found themselves inside the airship one more time.

You felt exhausted and of a strong need for sleep, so you walked around to find a possible isolated spot to rest for a while.

Your journey in search of a room or some bench big enough to lie down in comes to a stop.

"I have an announcement for all the participants. The Chairman wishes to interview the remaining candidates. When your number is called, please come to the first reception room, on the second floor. Then we will start with #44, Hisoka-sama."

And so, the interviews started to take place. And one by one, everyone was called.

Without a care about what type of interview you would have, you wait in the same spot you were in and close your eyes.

And by when you were almost asleep, you were awake to what was happening around you, in the presence of two people.

Two familiar... auras.

"My~, are you that sleepy?", Hisoka's voice resonated in the corridor.
And so the so loved silence that was making you company was killed by the, well, two killers.

"Should I tell father?", that simple sentence, one that reminded a famous line and a famous character, made you instantly change from your laying position to a sitting one.

A glare was directed at the man who was hiding his identity, especially from his younger brother. But all that glare was met with was a fake smirk and no more words from the victim it was directed.

So you decided to respond, "hell no, I ain't passing that hell training again."
As the little details of him said to you that he was satisfied with your reaction. You felt a little angry.

Illumi always did that. Make you irritated. He always found a way to and unfortunately for you, he appeared to always find it quite amusing even if he didn't admit it.

Since that time, when you were just too young for the cruelty of this world, the one day he saw your little figure, shivering with blood all over yourself, on that fateful night. He couldn't forget the fury on your expression, something he found quite interesting as it seemed to have made the accident of that time.

But after every training with his father and grandfather? It looked like every emotion had disappeared, no, that's not quite right, you did show some emotion but it was all just an act. The rage he once saw, seemed as if never had been there, so maybe he did try to disturb you to see that fury again. 

Yet, he never truly succeed.

"What are you going to do after the exam?", now that's unusual, Hisoka not using his playful tone. You turn your attention to him and when you do, his serious expression makes you more uncomfortable than his normal creepy way.

"The usual.", you respond with the same seriousness. "And you guys?", you felt the obligation to ask, cause he asked first and if you didn't you would feel guilty. Even if you already had a clue about the answer.

"I'm sure you already know~!", and here we go. He's back to normal...

And almost in the clue to get out of the conversation that you didn't know how to continue. The little secretary announced that it was your time to be interviewed.

So you excused yourself and walked to the room the chairman was in. 

As soon as you open the door, you take some steps in and close the door after you.
In front of you, behind a table is the chairman with a small notebook in his hands.

"Have a seat."

And so you do as he said and sat in front of him.

"Would you mind taking your wood and mask off?", he asked.

"Is there a need for that?"

"Ohoho, I'm just curious.", the chairman waved it off.

"Then I would prefer to stay at least with my mask.", and so out of respect, you took your hood off, revealing your (h/c) hair.

He hummed and decided to start the interview after a second of curiosity.
"I'll be asking a few questions out of my curiosity. First, why do you want to become a hunter?"

"To be able to travel easily and you could say because my job will be simpler that way, as well.", you with no uncertainty, replied.

After some scribbling on the paper, the chairman continued, "I see, then I'll move to the next question. Which of the other nine applicants are you keeping an eye on?"

You close your eyes to think.
"Well in a way I'm keeping on everyone, but the ones who picked my interest are the #405 and #99. They have a lot of potential.", then you open your eyes as you stare at the Charmain. "I'm sure you know that as well since you played that game with them."

"I'm not even surprised to hear you knew that. I heard a few things of you and I can say that they aren't exaggerated.", the chairman laughed. "But moving forward, which of the older nine applicants would you least want to fight?"

"#405 and #99, not in the mood to hurt kids...and get to run from two killers 'cause I hurt them...", you responded. The last phrase is not more than a murmur.

"Alright, that's all. You're excused."

Soon you were by the door, putting on your hood again before exiting the room. And finally, going to sleep.

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

(N/a: Hey guys, so shit happened.
Yeah, plus some family problems and well my grandpa died so... it's been a long month.

And that's why I haven't updated in so long, I apologize for who were waiting for the chapter update to be earlier. I even said so and I couldn't do it.

Honestly, I was having a little trouble with my mental health, and it probably shows in how I write...?

No clue.

But hey, the good news is that I'm feeling now way better than before.

I want to thank you all for all the votes, and commentaries, for adding my book to your reading lists, for reading this story and especially for liking it.
All your support makes me glad that I decided to go on with my ideas.

I write for fun and it's one of some ways of expressing myself so the fact that you all are liking this book is...comforting.

Even if life is hard, there's always something worth living for. It can be hidden from our eyes or can be in front of us and we can't see, but that's okay, it's better late than never to see what it is.

So I'll go after what I want to do, so should you.

Well, this is me somewhat venting and talking too much.
So I'll see y'all in the next chapter.
Take care, everyone!)