My Life As Yvette: Part 15

Imagine closing your eyes as one person and waking up in a place as another. It was late one morning when my eyes fluttered open. I looked around the room that was covered in bright paintings of the ocean on crisp white walls. The windows were open so I could smell the distinct aroma of seawater. I could even hear the waves as they crashed along the shore.

I sat up. My head felt heavy. The door opened and I stared into the eyes of this mocha-colored woman, heavy set, cherubic cheeks, her soft curls pulled back into a ponytail, she spoke with a Caribbean accent, "Mrs. Clarke, you're awake."

I stared at her. She walked to the bed and touched my belly, "The baby is still kicking. You're going to be all right Mrs. Clarke."

"Where am I?"

She smiled, "This is your home. You're in St. Croix."

"And my name is Mrs. Clarke? I married?"

"You really did bump ya heard hard, Mrs. Clarke."

"What's my first name?"

"Yvette. That's what ya husband say. He be back in a few days."

I was told that I was with my husband on a trip to Mexico and that I fell and bumped my head and that it caused memory loss. It was possible my memory could return but it wasn't certain.

She helped me up, "I'll get you some things so you can clean up ya self."

I nodded. I shuffled to a door in the room that was opened to the outside with a deck. There was the most amazing view of the sea. I stepped outside and inhaled. I live here? It was strange to me. I felt like I never lived anywhere that remarkable, secluded, quiet, and peaceful.

I heard her bellow my name, "Mrs. Clarke, come now. I have ya things ready for a wash. Maybe later today we can go out and check on the festival."

"Festival?"

"Oh yes, Mrs—"

"Call me Yvette."

She smiled, "Yvette. And I'm Dominique. I only met your husband last week when he brought you here."

"And my husband?"

"Mr. Clarke is away on business. He'll be back in a few days. He's such a handsome man. You got yourself a nice-looking one. Those eyes and that pretty hair. Y'all gonna have a beautiful baby."

I smiled as I placed my hand on my belly. A joy to carry a life. I was disturbed that I could not remember it, the man that gave me the gift, or how we met. I followed Dominique to the bathroom.

The bathroom was inviting with beautiful caramel and cream-colored tiles. The sink had two bowls that sat upon a brown countertop that was in the style of a dresser/cabinet. There was a stand-up shower and a bench to the left of the small shower space.

She placed my stuff on the bench and said, "I'll be preparing lunch in the kitchen downstairs." Then she turned and left.

I turned on the shower and felt the water on my hand, it didn't get extremely hot, it was warm. I removed my clothes and stepped inside. After the shower, I dressed in a white dress and some sandals. I went downstairs and saw Dominique in the kitchen.

It smelled delightful. She turned to me, "I'm making some red pea soup and I have a rum cake in the oven. Have a seat,"

I sat at the island. I continued to survey the home. There weren't any pictures. "How long have I lived here?"

"Not sure about that. I was hired to come here and sit with you while your husband takes care of business."

I nodded. The house phone rang and she answered, "She's doing just fine. I'll let you speak to her," she said as she walked over to me with the phone, "It's your husband."