𝟐𝟑

When the two enter the animal daycare located close to the park, they are greeted by a variety of pets that are already kept in the area

As they go past them, they hear their shouts and greetings repeated in their ears.

What are we doing here?❞

Soohyeon asks Jake as she trails behind him, flinching every time a pet approaches her.

❝Do you remember Layla? the dog I Introduced through the phone?❞

Jake looks down at her as she nods hesitantly, still on full alert of the pets around them.

Yeah—

— HOLY,❞

Soohyeon lets out a startled shriek as a parrot flies in their direction and settles on her head.

Jake couldn't prevent himself from laughing at her sudden fright and the bird's decision to sit on her head.

He then lifts his arm, leading the parrot to fly from Soohyeon's head to his arm.

Soohyeon looks at the two with her hair messed up from the bird. She looks at it and realises it has been trained all along.

Then a man rushes up to them, claiming to be the owner of the parrot.

I'm so sorry, she keeps on leaving me because I didn't give her some treats,❞

He says this while returning the bird to its carrier.

No, It's alright sir,❞

Jake assures him and bows back.

He then bids them farewell and apologises before departing with his parrot.

Jake glances down at Soohyeon, who still feels humiliated by what she did earlier.

Without any warning, he begins brushing her messed-up hair with his fingertips, making it appear normal again.

Soohyeon, on the other hand, is frozen right on the spot at his abrupt action.

You... you didn't have to,❞

She gulps and manages to avoid his gaze.

There, he looks at her, curving his lips upward.

Without saying anything, Jake takes her hand; He dismisses what she says and leads her to another aisle where they encounter a golden retriever.

Soohyeon, meet Layla,❞

Jake looks at her before returning his attention to the border collie.

Layla runs up to them and climbs on him, wagging her tail and licking his clothing all over.

Soohyeon didn't know what to do and just stood there, awkwardly waving her hands to the dog.

But, to her surprise, Layla approaches her and does what she did to Jake.

Oh wow, She likes you already.❞

He smiles at the sight in front of him, thinking how bright it is.

W.. Woah there,❞

Soohyeon had been hesitant to pet Layla, but she finds herself wanting more pets than she ever imagined after just one rub.

Your dog is so pretty,❞

Soohyeon compliments his dog while continuing to pet her.

Thank you,❞

Jake laughs at her, who is gradually becoming addicted to petting the dog.

Can I take a photo of her?❞

She then takes a camera from her sling bag and looks up at Jake, who flinches since he didn't realise he was still peering at her.

Ah... yes, of course, you can.❞

He rubs the back of his neck and turns away, embarrassed that she noticed him staring for too long.

She then squints one eye and pulls the camera towards her left.

Layla,❞

As she calls her name, the dog looks at her and gives Soohyeon a perfect shot.

After that, a notification ring is heard coming from Soohyeon's phone, implying that she has received a message.

She pulls it out of her purse and reads the text before putting it back.

Jake notices a change in her expression, which tells to him that the news is not good.

I might have to go now,❞

❝I might have to go now,❞