Chapter 24: A friend from a foe

(Author's note)

Hey guys !

I know it has been a while since I published a chapter.  life has been crazy lately.  

I rewrote this chapter almost three time and was never really satisfied.  I hope that you guys like

I really appologize for my absence.  I would understand you guys dropping this story.  If you are still here, thank you

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a couple of minutes since Gojo's figure disappeared.  But here I was, standing at the same place, looking at the same direction, wrapping my head around the situation
I was about to run after him and ask all of the million of questions twirling in my head.

But a familiar cursed energy stopped me from moving.  I could feel it lurking in the dark right behind me. I focused on its essence trying to identify the owner.
And I did.  It was Golem's, the creature that I faced a couple of days ago in the abandoned building. 

It wasn't far away from me.  But the creature was very fast.  If I wanted to reach it, I had to be fast ... 

I took a deep breath to prepare myself for the run ahead of me and turned around.
We locked eyes as soon as my head changed direction

 It knew that I was coming for it. 

It promptly started running away but I was already behind it, chasing it, like my life was depending on it. 

Too many civilians were on our way.  The creature smooshed its shape and changed it according the available space between the pedestrian to make its way through the crowd, compensating for all the distance that I managed to shorten.

"When will it stop leading me to abandoned building" I mumbled to myself remembering how it lead me to Nanami the previous time.

Knowing that this might be a trap, I followed Golem nonetheless.  It's not like I had a choice.  I need to know what is the relationship between this creature and Mathieu.   Plus, it's not like this creature had a chance of winning against me.  

I scanned the environment as soon as I set foot inside the building.    The only cursed energy that I sensed are coming from that creature.  

However, I couldn't dare and harbour my usual self confidence.  Last time, Golem managed to hide its presence from me.  Another being could potentially do the same.

We ran upstairs.  Each additionnel step, helped me narrow the distance separating the two of us.
Golem bolted inside a room.  His choice seemed to specific.  It was time to discover the infamous trap  
I took my cursed baton out and prepared myself to engage into whatever fight awaiting me.

I entered the room and I was met with PURE darkness.  As I advanced into the space, the door behind me was brutally slammed, removing the only source of light.

I stopped my mouvement and took several long breaths, trying to slow my fast beating heart.  
I was not particularly fazed by the dark.  After all, my first memory ever, was being confined in a room surrounded by darkness for more than 3 months.

The creature didn't bring me here to play dinette. It must be planning something.
I put my focus on my surroundings and decided to trust my instinct, since it has never betrayed me.  

A startling whip of electricity stroke into my direction.  My body moved on its own and jumped high enough to avoid the hit.  Another one was lashed on the side.  As soon as my feet hit the floor, I rolled around in the ground to avoid it.  Several other blows were shot at me but I easily managed to evade each one of them.  I completely let loose of everything and gave free reins to my instinct.  The strokes frequency became more and more aggressive. 
I needed to find the creature while I was still able to keep up with the stroke's rates.

"I can't believe that you are making me do this."  I mumbled with a tone of frustration.  

I placed my palms together aligning my fingers, rotated my wrists and bended my annulaires.

" I am in the world but not quite of the world." I whispered calmly.

I took a very long deep breath, inhaling everything's energy:  The unseen furnitures, the different insects laying on the walls, minding their business ... even the particules roaming in the air.  I was finally able to visualize the room.  Doing so allowed me to spot the creature.  It was hiding in the corner.

I splunged toward the creature, avoiding a couple of additional electricity stroke.
I found myself in front of GOLEM

I opened my senses establishing a connection with the creature. 
The creature emmitted an ear percing scream.  That's how it managed to escape the last time.
However, today I was determined to overcome the pain.
In doing so, I was overwhelmed with a feeling of anguish tasting pure chaos and pain

"STOPPEN !!! ... dlaczego to robisz ? ... hê genade ... LASS MEINE KINDER ALLEIN !!! ... Łaska ... اين اولادي ... MUTTER .... hê genade ... ICH FLEHE SIE  ... Salve-nos ... AJUDA ... لم نفعل أي شيء ... उन्हें रिहा करो ..."

Different voices, different languages alas the same suffering.  Scream of children, women and men kept resonating inside my head.  
I was able to understand a few,  but some language were unfamiliar

I had my fair share of pain in life, but this feeling was insufferable.

I had to fight against all of my instinct to keep the connection going

"STOP !" I yelled throughout the connection.

My command was answered. The flashes of electricity stopped coming at me which allowed me to take a breath.

"The darkness ... lift it" I ordered again.

Blinding rays of sunshine blurred my vision.  I squinted my eyes allowing my pupils to get adjusted to the new lighting.  I quickly scanned my surroundings and was able to spot the remaining pieces of shadows rolling around and dissapearing.  

Millions of questions twirled inside my head : ' What are you doing in Tokyo ?  How do you know Mathieu ? What is the relationship between you and the royals ....'

"Daughter of Hannibal"

 The creature whispered through the connexion. The appelation seemed familiar. This was not the first time that a cursed monster called me this "Save us !!"

"Save you ? Why would you need saving ? From who ?" I questioned the unexpected request.

"Could you tell a friend from a foe ?" I could feel Golem's body softly shivering under me

"A friend from a foe ?" I mumbled to myself. "What do you mean ?" I asked, with a strident scream "Does it mean that there is spy ?" I grabbed it by what seemed to be its shoulders "Who ? Where ? Why are you telling me ?" I blurted all of the questions that popped into my mind

"The Lacking time is the essence !" The creature's voice was horser than before.