Chapter 16: He lives

"If you encounter it, your choices are either run or die" a shaking Ijichi mumbled to Gojo . "I warned them that fighting was absolutely not an option"

The three of us were in the morgue. Gojo was sitting on a bench while I was standing against the wall. The body of Itadori was laying on the table, covered by a white blanket. I crossed my arms silently listening to their conversation.

"It was intentional" Gojo retorqued with a serious expression

"Huh ? What do you mean ?" Ijichi asked with an apologetic expression

"There was a special grade" Gojo scratched the back on his head "Sending first-years to rescue five who may or may not be alive should be out of the question"

I couldn't contain the tsk that exited my mouth. These higher-ups ! What a bunch of cowards !

In a way I can understand them. Change has always been scary. After all, I have lived within one of the oldest institution of the world. My entire life revolved around tradition and order.

But I was also getting tired of it. Going to Russia and seeing Max reminded me of all the people that were sacrificed in the name of 'protecting that precious order'

Would Jean still be alive if I didn't make the choices that I made ? Would he still be standing in this world, alive and well, holding his beaming smile ?

I pinched the bridge of my nose exasperated at the turn of events.

"Beside, with Yuji" Gojo's voice interrupted my thoughts. "(Y/N) and I were the one who forced the issue and got his execution indefinitely suspended. Some higher-ups who were not satisfied took advantage of our absence and the special-grade to tactfully dispose of him"  

I glanced at him to see him studying me

It was true. If I stayed here, they wouldn't have dared sending Yuji to his obvious execution. But again, I can't always stay next to him. I also have to investigate the matter related to Golem and Suguru Geto. I am bound to eventually leave his side.

"If the other two had also died, it'd be more harassment for me and two birds with one stone for them" Gojo continued stating the obvious.

I kind of knew that this eccentric man was not really loved by the higher-ups. I can't say that they appreciate my existence as well. After all, I know a lot of things that they would rather keep hidden

"No, but ... No one expected it to become a special grade by the time the dispatch was issued" Ijichi tried to explain

"Searching for someone to blame is just a pain" ... "Maybe I should " ... "Kill all of the higher-ups" A dark aura wrapped Gojo as Ijichi was taken aback by this statement. Anybody could tell that Gojo wasn't pleased by the situation and I couldn't blame him.

I glanced at him not really impressed by what he said. He could kill them all for all I care. Politics has never been my concern.

Someone opened the door and entered. My eyes shifted at the new addition and it was Shoko, wearing her usual white coat

"You're not usually this emotional" Shoko's tone held an amused ring to it.

"It's good to see you, leiri-san !" Ijichi bowed to her with his usual stressed tone

"Looks like you've taken quite a liking to him"  Shoko was teasing her senpai

"I've always been a nice guy who cares for my students"  He huffed at her while crossing his arms

"Don't torment Ijichi too much" Ijichi who was still bowing blushed at Shoko's comment "He's got it rough, stuck between us and the higher-ups"

I looked at Ijichi as he was over the moon. Anyone could hear him internally plead "Keep going ! keep going ! Keep going"