𝑭𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝑺𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏

Start from the beginning

Annabeth's pulse quickened. "What will you tell them when they get here?"

Damasen's mouth twitched. "What is there to tell? Nothing of significance, as long as you are gone."

He tossed them two drakon-leather satchels. "Clothes, food, drink."

Bob was wearing a similar but larger pack. He leaned on his broom, gazing at Ariadne as if still pondering Damasen's words.

"The Prophecy of Eight," Annabeth said.

Ariadne had already climbed out of the bed and was shouldering her pack. She frowned at her. "What about it?"

Annabeth grabbed Damasen's hand, startling the giant. His brow furrowed. His skin was as rough as sandstone.

"You have to come with us," she pleaded. "The prophecy says foes bear arms to the Doors of Death. I though it meant Romans and Greeks, but that's not it. The line means us—demigod, a Titan, a giant. We need you to close the Doors!"

The drakon roared outside, closer this time. Damasen gently pulled his hand away.

"No, child," he murmured. "My curse is here. I cannot escape it."

"Yes, you can," Annabeth said. "Don't fight the drakon. Figure it out a way to break the cycle! Find another fate."

Damasen shook his head. "Even if I could, I cannot leave this swamp. It is the only destination I can picture."

Ariadne could see Annabeth's mind race. The brunette looked at the giant. "There is another destination. Look at us! Remember our faces. When you're ready, come find me. We'll take you to the mortal world with us. You can see the sunlight and stars."

The ground shook. The drakon was close now, stomping through the marsh, blasting trees and moss with its poison spray. Further away, Ariadne heard the voice of the giant Otis, urging his followers forward. "THE MADNESS GOD's DAUGHTER! SHE IS CLOSE!"

"Annie," Ariadne said urgently, "that's our cue to leave."

Damasen took something from his belt. In his massive hand, the white shard looked like another toothpick, but when he offered it to Annabeth she realized it was a sword—a blade of dragon bone, honed to a deadly edge, with a simple grip of leather.

"One last gift for the child of Athena," rumbled the giants. "I cannot have you waking to your death unarmed. Now, go! Before it is too late."

Annabeth wanted to sob. She took the sword, but she couldn't even make herself day thank you.

"We must leave," Bub urged as his kitten climbed onto his shoulder.

"He's right, Annie," Ariadne said.

They ran for the entrance. Annabeth didn't look back as she followed Ariadne and Bob into the swamp, but she heard Damasen behind them, shouting his battle cry at the advancing drakon, bus voice cracking with despair as he faced his old enemy yet again.

***

     SHE COULDN'T FOCUS. Ariadne felt her mind become preoccupied with ugh swirling thoughts and questions. Mainly, ones surrounding Bob and their new giant friend, Damasen.

"You said you want to greet the stars again," she began. "Which ones?"

Bob tilted his head, mimicking the kitten on his shoulder. "The swan. The bird of lakes."

Annabeth gripped Ariadne's hand. Her blonde curls fell over her grey eyes, storming irises and a curl of her mouth signifying her thoughts. "Why so?"

"Cygnus, the king, dove into a river to collect his friend's bones, day after day for proper burial. Devotion, possibly, but certainly love."