I was teasing. It wasn't a serious question...

    His pupils flared, and his eyes gaze dropped to my lips. The sheets on the bed ruffled as his hands tensed. "You say such atrocious things." He whispered back. There was a soft pause as Rhys gathered himself. As I gathered myself.

    Slowly, Rhysand's gaze raked back up to my eyes. I didn't know what lurched in those violet eyes. I wasn't sure I wanted to know as I saw the look he was giving me. "You are always free to do what you want, with whomever you want. So if you want to ride him, go ahead." The words were choked as if he forced them out.

    "Maybe I will." I retorted, my voice barely more than an exhale

    "Fine." His breath caressed my mouth.

"Fine." I repeated, aware of every inch between us, smaller and smaller as it became. The challenge heightening every second neither of us moved.

    I hated this. I did.

    "Do not," he said, "jeopardize this mission."

    "Wouldn't dream of it." I assured, narrowing my eyes slightly. His power enveloped me, shaking me awake.

    Out of nowhere, Rhys inclined his head toward an unlit candle sat on the dresser. "Light it." He commanded.

    My lips twisted upwards. "I didn't hear a please."

    He blew out an exasperated breath. "Light it, please."

    I debated arguing further, if only to get a rise out of him. But Instead, I looked at the candle, tapping into that well of power within me and dredging up just an inch of it.

A small lick of white flame curled up the wick of the candle, gathering at the top until it had become a force. A living, breathing manifestation of my will. My power.

I looked away, only to find the room like with white and gold flames of various shades. Every candle in the room had been lit without my knowing. It was a sight to behold.

My eyes finally found Rhys's again. His eyes were lit with thousands of bright stars.

Rhys, hands still braced on either side of me, laughed quietly. "Can't you ever follow orders?"

I held myself high. No one was my master—but I might be master of everything, if I wished. If I dared.

Like a strange rain, droplets of fire rose and separated from the flames I had lit. Scattering around the room in circles—like stars, shining bright and bold as I willed it so. I willed the flames to separate until they were everywhere. All around us. Sparkling like thousands of suns.

Rhys broke my stare to study them. "I suggest," he murmured, "you not show Tarquin that little trick in the bedroom."

I contemplated singeing off his eyebrows and or lighting him on fire. I just barely refrained from doing both. Deciding to summon the water from one of the faucets instead and send it pouring down on him like a waterfall.

I watched as the water drenched him as though he'd just gone swimming. Almost as much water got on me as it did him, but it was worth it to see him standing there like a wet dog.

Both of us now soaking, Rhys gaped a bit—then smiled. "Good." he finally pushed away from the bed, no longer trapping me between his arms.

And yet my mind still swam. "Will he go to war?" I asked, "Over Feyre? Over me?'

He knew who I meant. The hot temper than had been on Rhys's face turned to a lethal calm in seconds. "I don't know." he answered.

I never wished to go back. But I spoke the truth when I said, "I would go back. If it came to that, Rhys. I'd rather go back than start a war and make everyone—make you fight."

"Would you want to go back?"

"I won't risk lives just to make my own easier."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"If it were up to me, I'd sooner die than go back to Spring Court. But I would. All the pain and the killing... it's not worth it."

Rhysand stared at me for a moment longer. His face unreadable. He strode to the door, stopping with his fingers on the handle. "He locked you up because he knew—the bastard knew what a treasure you are. That you are worth more than land or gold or jewels. He knew, and he was scared."

The words hit me, even as they smoothed some jagged piece in my soul. "Power corrupts." was all I said.

One of my biggest fears. That this—me, my power, that it would be too much. That in the end, I would no longer be myself. Lost in that well within me.

"Then don't let it."

And then he was gone.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: Add a little bit of 🌶🤌spoice🤌🌶