1: A Life Ahead of Me (Edited)

(Y/N's PoV)

I remember a plate crashing on the floor, breaking into a million pieces. I stumbled on the floor in front of my mother. I groan as I feel needle-like stings on my arm. My eyes stopped blurring and I see my arm having a shard or two engraved in my skin. It stung a lot more when I saw it.

I see my mother walk towards me as she held out a hand. I took her hand as she helped me stand up. My shoeless feet were punctured the same way my arm was. I tried to walk away - waiting for my mother to let go of my arm.

"You useless, clumsy little crap!" She hisses and I grinned. "I knew it. You're still coldhearted towards me." I muttered and she scoffs. "How can I love a daughter who always trips and falls?!" She hits me as she digs her nails in my arm.

When I was young, my parents would hurt me for little things and mistakes - I thought that it was for the greater good.

My 12th birthday, I was gifted the worst gift ever. The morning of my birthday, I had felt something resonating in me. I thought it was just fatigue...but then it spoke to me. It called itself a woman named Insanity.

At first, I thought it was just an imaginary friend and so did my parents. Well, like every horror movie including a child, I was wrong.

Insanity was a sickness. She would come and tell me to harm the ones who neglect me. She would make me grab a knife and attempt to stab a kid but I wasn't going to let her. That day she made me hold a knife, I turned it to myself - cutting my skin and drawing blood. The kid was safe and probably so traumatized. I had to get stitches because of my so called imaginary friend.

I had to deal with her for six years and in those six years I got five sets of stitches, a dozen therapies, a trip to a counseler and a criminal record of using dangerous equipment. Luckily, I only got 2 years of jail. I feel like they pitied me or my parents bribed with them, which is an impossible thought.

The day of my 18th birthday, I was released from my cage and sent home. After being sent to jail, I felt like that burden of carrying a figment that did not exist...was gone...

.....For a short while. During a party with my classmates, I was annoyed for some reason. The boys were drunk and the girls were swimming in their swimwear. I was sitting on a chair, staring blankly at nothing, staying completely sober. It was peaceful until I felt someone touch my shoulder.

A boy - who was absolutely drunk - began to harass me. I tried to evade him but he pinned me down and crashed his lips on mine. Most women in my class would love to get a kiss from a man...though I am not like most women. I felt hatred.

He pulled my hair and slapped me whenever I tried to resist him. Every hit just made my blood boil even more.

When he was about to hit me again, I grabbed his arm and twisted it. And it felt great!

After making a commotion, I heard Insanity say: "You did the right thing."

And I knew...that she had always been there. She was sleeping and I woke her up. I brought her back and I can never get her to go away...

2 years later

It was my 20th birthday. These past two years were a bit better, my parents rarely hit me, maybe because I never left my room. I was always clawing my walls, gnawing at my fingers - making them look ugly - but I did not care. Insanity had earned her name for it was she who made me insane about socializing with people.

Every night, I see red in my dreams...a dirty, muddy red. I hated it.

One clear afternoon, a knock arrived at my door. I answered by opening it and I see my mom, being the happiest I've ever seen her before. "Happy Birthday, (Y/n)! We have a surprise for you! Now dress nicely and make it quick! Your father is waiting in the car!" I was suspicious yet hopeful. I've always dreamed of the day they'd care about me like normal parents. Without hesitation, I did as I was told, taking my (favorite/clothes) and slipping in them.