Chapter 67

"Come on, Henry," I said, pushing past a branch

"I'm coming. It's hard to see," Henry sighed, trailing behind me.

"Yes, I know but we've got to keep moving," I told him, pulling my knife out as a walker came into my sight. I gripped its bony, rotten shoulder, jamming my knife into its head.

"How are you so good at this?" Henry asked as I ripped the knife from the walker's head.

"Good at what?"

"Surviving."

"I've been doing it for years now. Maybe not alone like this but I've still been doing it," I shrugged.

"I just wanted to know who killed my brother. I didn't mean for this to happen," Henry whimpered. 

"I know. But it happened and now we've got to keep moving. Come on, this way." I held my hand out for him.

"I'm not a baby."

"I know. I don't want to lose you," I told him and that was all it took for this hand to wrap around mine. The two of us walked in silence for a while before we stumbled upon a road. 

"Rori?"

"Yeah, Henry?" 

"Do you think we'll be able to get back," Henry asked. I sucked in a deep breath, fully prepared to lie to the kid.

"Yes. I'll get us home," I said.

"Okay." Henry went quiet for a moment before speaking again. "Uh, I think there's a herd."

"What?" I snapped to look at him, seeing the small herd stumbling towards us. "Fuck."

"What do we do?" Henry asked, and I could hear the nervous edge to his tone. I glanced around, looking for all the possibilities. 

"We run. Come on," I dragged Henry along with me as I ran. Obviously, he was slower than me. 

"Rori, I can't keep up!" Henry cried. I stopped, breathing heavily.

"I'm going to carry you. Hold on," I said, sweeping the younger boy into my arms as I broke out in a sprint. I veered off into the forest, the branches snapping under my feet. I heard moans behind me but they were slowly becoming more distant. 

"Over there!" Henry pointed towards our left. I looked over there, spotting a cabin in the distance. It was hard to see in the dark, the only thing illuminating it was the moonlight. Henry screamed as I tripped, the two of us crashing into the ground. I tried to protect Henry's head, but mine slammed against the floor. 

"Jesus, we're not in some horror movie," I mumbled, groaning. 

"Rori, they're coming," Henry said, pushing himself to his feet. I looked behind us, seeing walkers stumbling towards us. There weren't as many as before. 

"Henry, you know how to kill a walker right? Go for the head. Don't get bit or scratched," I said, eyes locked on the rotten corpses. 

"Yeah, but I've never killed one," Henry said.

"No time like the present," I sighed. 

"What?"

"Go into the Cabin, search it, kill any walkers. I'll hold off the walkers here as long as I can. If I get off path, I'll find my way back. Don't leave," I warned him. "Just hide in the cabin. Check every room."

"Rori, I can't," Henry said. I turned towards him, crouching down to his level.

"You can and you have to. You'll be fine," I reassured the boy. "We don't have a choice. If there are any walkers in there, there won't be much."

Henry looked hesitant but eventually nodded. "Okay."

"Good. Now go," I nudged him towards the cabin. "Put on your brave face." Henry shot me a smile, running towards the cabin. I turned back towards the walkers, rolling out the knots in my shoulders. "Come get me bitches."

I took a few strides to the closest walker, jamming my knife into its head. The walker's head flung back before it fell to the ground. My knife worked its way into a walker's head, my hand pressing firmly against its shoulder as another one came up behind me. I whipped around, kicking the walker back. My hand found my knife's handle, pulling it out of the dead walker's head. I let out a strangled cry as a hand found its way to my shoulder. My body jerk away as I stumbled back. There were too many of them now. Screw this. I pushed myself, darting towards the cabin. I could only hope Henry took out all of the walkers inside. I burst through the door, quickly pushing it shut behind me before moving to grab a chair. The kitchen was right next to the front door and I grabbed a bar stool and jammed it under the handle. I moved to the living, which was right of the door, and began pushing the couch. I grunted, feet slipping as I pushed. 

I felt someone appear at my side. It was Henry. Together, the two of us moved the couch in front of the door in case the stool didn't work. By now the small herd had caught up, banging on the windows and door. 

"Did you check every room and closet?" I whispered to Henry.

"Yes. There were only two walkers and I took care of them," Henry informed me.

"Good job," I nodded, moving towards a door in the hallway. I pulled it open to reveal a closet. A few coats were hanging up and some blankets on the top shelf. I stood on my tippy toes, pulling the down. "Here, I'll make a bed for you and you can get some sleep. I'll keep watch."

"Okay. Thank you, Rori."

"You're welcome," I smiled lightly, unfolding the blankets and laying them out for Henry. "Its best if we stay close so I want you to sleep down here."

"Okay," Henry said, setting down his weapons and laying down. "Goodnight."

"Night, Hen," I said, quietly leaving the living room. I headed to the kitchen to start looking for food and water. I knew we couldn't stay here long either way but I was still praying that there was food. Much to my luck, there was a can of peaches, beans, and one water bottle. There were a few stale crackers, too. I laid them out on the counter, sighing. We couldn't survive off of these for long and I had no idea how to get home from here. I didn't even know where we were at. So, now the question was, what the hell do I do besides survive?

 So, now the question was, what the hell do I do besides survive?