Chapter 43

"Putting together a red rover like that takes people

"Putting together a red rover like that takes people. A lot of them," Eugene pointed out. There were about twelve walkers, all chained together in a line. 

"Come on. Let's do this," Rick said, slinging his gun over his shoulder. 

"Dad," Carl stepped forward to stop Rick.

"That's Michonne's," Aaron chimed in. He was right. One of them was wearing Michonne's clothes.

"That's Daryl's," Sasha said in horror. 

"Jesus! Not again!" I exclaimed as I felt a bullet graze my leg. Will through his arm in front of me, attempting to block the bullets from hitting me. 

"Get back to the RV! Go!" Rick yelled, and we didn't need to my told twice. Some adults stayed out to cover Rick as it become a blood bath. Gunshots were being fired from every which way as we retreated. As soon as Rick was in the RV, Abraham quickly drove forward. 

---------------------

I held a cloth to my slightly bloody ankle as we drove. The RV was making noise, which scared me. What happened if we broke down? "What's that noise?" Sasha asked as she too noticed it.

'UNdercarriage could've caught a bullet. Or could be transmission. It could be nothing," Eugune being his know-it-all-self said.

"They were firing at our feet," Rick said. 

"Yeah, well, they should stop doing that because they always hit me," I rolled my eyes, handing the cloth to Will. Matt came over with a bandaid and took off the white parts, sticking them to my ankle. 

"They blocked the road, but they weren't trying to stop us. They want us in this direction," Rick said. 

"Barton Road takes us North, but they gotta know we wanna go North," Sasha said as she looked between Rick and the map. 

"Meadows. Could take us east a piece, but we can get back on track on Mayhew," Eugene said. 

"We're down to a third of a tank. We could top off at the next stop, but no refills after that," Sasha replied, looking at Rick for an answer. 

"All right," Rick sighed. 

"She's burning up," I heard Aaron whisper to Rick and immediately locked my eyes on Aaron. Matt took my hand into his own but I didn't look at him. The RV squealed again, and Rick pressed a hand to his forehead. 

"Rick," Abraham called out over his shoulder. I looked up, fearing the worst. Rick made his way to the front. 

"You have got to be kidding me," I mumbled angrily. There had to be at least twenty people now, maybe more. Abraham stopped the RV once more. 

"Go back," Rick ordered.

"Where?" Abraham asked. He was right. There was no way around it now. Rick stayed quiet, staring out the windshield. Abraham proceeded on doing the same routine we had done the past two times. Slowly back away and take a detour. Only our next detour, there was a log barricade. It went from the ground up to the bridge. 

"These tracks, they would indicate they not only have people, but some big-ass toys and capabilities," Eugene said as we stood before the wall.

"Yeah, we already knew that, Sherlock," I snapped.

"What it indicates is we are neck-deep up shit creek with our mouths wide open," Abraham said as he stared at Rick. I jumped, turning around when I heard a scream from behind me. A man dropped down from the bridge, a chain wrapped around his throat. He thrashed his limbs around helplessly as he yanked at the chain. It did no use. 

"This is some twisted shit," Will whispered to me. It wasn't just anyone. It was one of our men.

"Don't," Abraham said. I briefly looked over my shoulder to see Aaron with his gun pointed at the hanging man. 

"I can try and break the chain," Aaron said quickly. 

"It won't work," Abraham immediately shut him down.

"I can try," Aaron said again.

"It won't work," Rick said, stepping a few feet to stand beside Will and I.  "And we need the bullets." At that, Aaron lowered his gun as we watched the man die. He stopped struggling, and his arms dropped to his side. Our heads turned at the sound of logs burning. 

"You're treating your people good, right? Like it was your last day on Earth? Or maybe one of theirs? You better go.  it's gonna get hot. You go get where you're going," A voice from the other side said but I couldn't see him. Just the burning logs in front of us and smoke filling the air.

"Go, go," Rick ordered and once more, we all ran back to the RV and Abraham got us away from the mess. I wondered how many times we'd have to do this before it was finally over.

We parked in the middle of a road to discuss what we do. "So, what's the play?" Abraham asked as we all crowded the small table. 

"She'll die without a doctor," I said and Rick was quick to back me up.

"Yeah, she needs a doctor."

"There are two more routes north from here," Sasha's finger trailed along one of them. 

"They're probably waiting for us right now," Aaron pointed out. 

"There's no way around it," I sighed.

"So, they're ahead of us, probably behind us. But they're not waiting on us, per se, they're waiting on this rust bucket. And they don't know the moment-to-moment occupancy of said rust bucket. And the sun sets soon," Eugene said, his voice shaky. It was quiet for a moment as Rick gave a nod. Now, time to get ready for Eugene's plan. 

Our small group waited as Rick talked to Eugene. It was dark now, and mom was on a small makeshift bed that the boys could easily carry. I still didn't trust Eugene fully, but if he was saving my mom's ass then I was grateful. Abraham shared a small heart-to-heart moment with Eugene before helping Rick carry Mom. 

"Thank you," Mom said to Eugene as she was pulled out of the RV and we began our journey. Eugene had done it. He might have just saved us all.