Chapter 50

The next week was a blur

The next week was a blur. Mom had an ultrasound, which both Enid and I attended. Enid had also gotten really good at throwing her knives. Rosita had even shown up to help prepare us. Only, it wasn't long after her arrival before the Saviors had shown up. I heard the shouts of the guy on duty from by the graves and was instantly on my feet. I had to get to Mom. Enid and Daryl were already there by the time I arrived. I quickly joined their side, following them as we ran to our escape route. 

"We'll never make it in time," Mom breathed out, coming to a stop.

"Come on," Enid said, running past her.

"We have to try," I told her, beginning to run again. Enid pulled two wooden doors open, letting Maggie climb inside. It was like a basement or a cellar.

"Just stay down there. I'll keep them away. They aren't the same ones who came to Alexandria," Enid said as the mom and Daryl climbed in.

"We'll keep them away," I correct. "We have each other's back." Enid locked the doors behind them. I nodded at her as I followed her around the corner of the building. We made it around just in time to see the last savior enter the building, and the doors shut. "You sure you don't want to go down there with them? I can handle them."

"No, as you said, we've got each others back," Enid said with a soft smile. The two of us walked over to the dirt where we grew our food. We stood in the dirt, hunched over as we picked up the vegetables. There were carrots, tomatoes, and really all sorts of things. She held a woven basket as I tossed the veggies in.

"This can't be good. They aren't due back for a couple of days at least," I shook my head, crossing my arms. Enid didn't reply for a moment.

"Rori," I felt her nudge me, and I looked up in the direction of one of the Saviors. He was going around the corner of the building, why where Daryl and Mom were hidden. Quickly springing to my feet, I jumped into action. 

"Come on," I called over my shoulder, running over to the man. 

"Hi! Uh, we got fresh veggies," Enid called out, sounding way too happy. The man turned to look at us, holding out a hand.

"Stop. They're vegetables. Use the whole word. We have the time," the man said calmly. Mentally, I rolled my eyes.

"Uh, I have these vegetables they told me to bring over, uh, and the basket's pretty heavy. For me, I mean," Enid said, sounding a lot less happy this time.

"And we just picked them," I added with a fake smile.

"Uh, here. Load them in the truck," Enid shoved the basket into the guy's arms. "And, uh, if you meet us by the garden, I can get you the rest-"

"Stop," the guy cut her off. "I don't know who you kids think I am or who we are, load them yourself. There are two of you. I'm busy," the guy told us, letting the basket fall to the ground. Our vegetables rolled out onto the dirty pathway. 

"Oh, sorry!" Enid quickly apologized as we bent down to pick them up. 

"Girls, pick that shit up right now and scram," the guy said, bending down and getting in our faces. "And I'll take that. Now. Don't make me cut it off you, girl." He was talking about Enid's knife.

"You know, you're a real handsome guy. I'd like to know your name, if you don't mind me asking," I said, smiling a fake smile. I was trying to draw the attention away from Enid's knife. He glanced at me and did something I did not expect. He struck me across the face. My face burned, and tears welled in my eyes. From the metallic taste in my mouth, I could tell my lip had split.

"I won't tell you again, girl. Give me the knife," the guy said to Enid. Enid quickly handed the knife over, picking up the basket. I scrambled to my feet as the guy crouched down in front of the hiding place and fumbled with the lock.

"You know, It's not nice to hit I girl," I spoke up, barely registering the words spilling out of my mouth. I was desperate for him to stop. To not open the wooden doors. He sighed, standing back up.

"Do I need to tell you again? Scram. Take your vegetables with you and leave," he said, stepping closer to me. "Or are you hiding something in there? Huh, are you?'

"No," I replied smoothly. Quite honestly, I was surprised I wasn't a stuttering mess right now.

"Good, then shut your pathetic mouth and let me open it," he spat. As much as I wanted to stop him, I let him open the doors. Enid and I shared a look as we watched him walk down the stairs. I walked to stand at the top, gazing down. He hadn't found them yet.

"See, nothing to hide. Just some old food," I chuckled. He didn't say anything but continued to poke around. Even moved a box full of food outside.

"Sure, sweetheart. You should dispose of the rotting food," the guy ordered, walking up the steps to me with the basket in his hand. "Next time, stay the hell out of my way." With ease, I slid to the side and let him walk up. I closed the doors behind him, locking them. Enid was still standing there with the basket full of food. "I thought I told you to load that into the truck?"

"Uh, sorry, yeah, I'll do that right now," Enid stuttered. I nodded at her when she glanced at me and she ran away. 

"You're a pretty girl," the guy said, turning to look at me. 

"Thanks," I replied.

"But you should really learn your place. You, you're under me. Under Negan, so keep that pretty mouth shut and do as your told. Now, be a good girl and go put this in the truck," the guy snapped, his freshly brushed breath filling my nose. I swallowed hard, taking the bin from his hands. It was kind of heavy in my arms, but I didn't dare complain. He had already given me a split lip, I didn't want any more injuries. 

"Yeah, right away." I shuffled past him with the heavy container in my arms.