Chapter 53. A surprise

~TA 2961 3 of February~

"Oin, are you sure?" I ask the dwarf in front of me. "Aye lass, you are carrying a child" Oin says for the third time. I just stare the dwarf in front of me and try to understand the words he just repeated for the third time. I have always wanted a family but it is still a surprise to find out that you actually are pregnant.

Thorin and I have been married for fourteen years and that time has been wonderful. Thorin is the most caring husband in my opinion, he always puts me and my problems over anything else. I am now 51 years old, the same age as my brother when he started the journey. It's crazy to think that that happened twenty years ago.

In those fourteen years Gimli, Dunan, Algir, Mavil, Nasnia and Loki have grown so much, it has been an honor to see them grow. Fili and Sigrid got married four years ago and Kili and Tauriel married nine years ago, let me say that it hasn't stopped the brothers from doing the same amount of pranks then before. Thorin and I have both aged, I look older and Thorin's hair has more grey hairs than before but to me he is still handsome.

"How long?" I ask Oin. "About three weeks lass" he says holding my hand, he knows how much I can start panicking about things that I don't know. Today I went to Oin because I have been feeling sick for the last week and Thorin won't shut up until I get it checked. If he acts like this with me I can imagine how he will act with this child.

"Y/N, are you alright" Oin ask sitting next to me. "I think I am, I just need a bit of time to think about everything. This is going to change my whole life but I wanted this so it's just a surprise. I am just afraid that I am not going to be enough as a mother. I am nervous about Thorin's reaction" I say all in one breath playing with my ring that Thorin gave me.

"Y/N, listen to me. You are going to be an amazing mother, I know it and I have seen it. I watched how you treated those children back then and now when you talk to children. And about Thorin, you don't need to worry. Or maybe you should because he is going to be worried and really protective but mostly he will be happy" Oin says trying to make me feel better and it works.

"If you have any more questions or just need something else come here and ask for me" he says before he leaves because there are other patients who need him. I stay sitting on the hospital bed for a while before I walk out and towards my and Thorin's rooms.

On my way Duncan lands on my shoulder and makes a happy sound. I gently pet my little raven, I am so happy that Duncan is an Erebor raven because he can live over 70 years or even older. I don't think I could say goodbye to him just after ten or twenty years. I walk him on my shoulder over to our room. I open the door and sit on my bed waiting Thorin to come, it's already evening.

I insisted that I do my work as a queen, which means for today a meeting and paperwork, before going to see Oin. Thorin should be here soon, he promised to not work so long. In the meantime I take a book and start reading it. Duncan flies over to the closet and sits there looking at me wondering before falling asleep.

"Y/N, I am back" I hear the baritone voice that I have been waiting say as the door opens. "Thorin" I say happily as he walks over to me and places a kiss on my forehead. But my happiness fades as I remember what I nee to tell him soon, I don't want to keep this as a secret as I know how much Thorin cares for me.

"What did Oin say?" Thorin asks taking my hand. "It's nothing serious, Thorin. Stop worrying but I still think you should sit down" I say. Thorin's face turns from worried to confused and he looks at me the whole time when he sits down next to me on the bed. "I went there and he did the normal tests and he told me that I am healthy" I say, mu voice growing quieter towards the end.

"Then what is it?" Thorin asks impatiently. "Well, I-I. I don't know how t say this" I mumble. "Just tell me, you are scaring me, Y/N" Thorin says looking worried again. "Iampregnant" I say quickly and hiding my face in my hands, I don't know why but I just do it. "Gishavel, tell me did I hear you right" Thorin asks.