Chapter 17. Barrels and a smuggler

~TA 2941 22 of September~

I feel the flow of the river slow down. "Anything behind us?" Thorin ask the others behind us. "Not that I can see." Balin replies. "I think we've outrun the orcs." Bofur say weakly. "Not for long; we've lost the current." Thorin say. "Bombur is half drown." Dwalin say worried about his friend. "Make for the shore! Come on, let's go!" Thorin say.

Finally I lift my head and help Thorin paddle our barrel to the shore. I climb out of the barrel, my clothes are wet (expect my cloak) and I feel not so well. "Come on!" Dwalin say. I walk towards the rock where Kili is sitting, blood is bleeding from his leg and it look that it hurts. But when Bofur and I look a him worried, he just say "I'm fine, it's nothing.".

"On your feet." Thorin order. "Kili's wounded. His leg needs binding." Fili say worried about his brother. "There's an orc pack on our tail; we keep moving." Thorin say. "To where?" Balin ask. "To the mountain; we're so close." Bilbo say without realizing the distance to the mountain. "A lake lies between us and that mountain. We have no way to cross it." Balin say sounding disappointed. "So then we go around." Bilbo say trying again. "The orcs will run us down, as sure as daylight. We have no weapons to defend ourselves." Dwalin say the truth.

"Thorin, let us bind Kili's wounds" I say, looking at him. "Bind his leg, quickly. You have two minutes."Thorin finally admit. I tie Kili's leg with Fili, but then I feel a presence behind me. I turn to look an see a man pointing a arrow towards Ori, Dwalin step in front of him, protecting him from the stranger.

The stranger just shoot the branch that Dwalin hold and then a stone that is in Kili's hand. "Do it again, and you're dead." the man say. "Now you stop or you're dead yourself" I say to him, pointing him with my sword and dagger. Before I have time to do anything else, Thorin prevents me wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Excuse me, but, uh, you're from Laketown, if I'm not mistaken? That barge over there, it wouldn't be available for hire, by any chance?" Balin say. The man lower his bow and climb on a barge, saying "What makes you think I will help you?". "Those boots have seen better days." Balin say, and now I understand why Thorin considers him as a good counselor.

"As has that coat. No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?" Balin continues, while the man load the barrels onto the barge. "A boy and two girls." the man answer. "And your wife, I'd imagine she's a beauty." Balin say. "Aye. She was." the man say sadly. I feel a little bit sympathy for him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" Balin say apologetically, but Dwalin interrupts him, saying "Oh, come on, come on, enough with the niceties.". I kick him as well I can straight into his leg.

"What's your hurry?" the man ask suspiciously. "What's it to you?" Dwalin ask bluntly. "I would like to know who you are and what you are doing in these lands." the man say. "We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills." Balin say. "Simple merchants, you say? What is she then? " the man say looking at me. "Sorry, but I'm their friend they met on the way" I replied irritably.

"We'll need food, supplies, weapons. Can you help us?" Thorin say, finally letting me go. "I know where these barrels came from." the man say, examining the barrels. "What of it?" Thorin ask harshly. "I don't know what business you had with the elves, but I don't think it ended well. No one enters Laketown but by leave of the Master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He will see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil." the man say and get on the barge, throwing a rope to Balin.

"Offer him more." Thorin whisper to Balin. "I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen." Balin say. "Aye. But for that, you will need a smuggler." the man answer. "For which we will pay double." Balin say. The man look at us contemplatively.