47. And I You

"What did you and Gray-sama do when Juvia left for her job?"

Karissa impassively stared at her.

"Why?"

Juvia pursed her lips. "Juvia just wants to know because it concerns her darling Gray-sama."

Her darling Gray-sama? Man. That made her want to give her the most 'what-the-fuck' face she could pull.

And frankly, it was really none of Juvia's business. She didn't want to share her precious memory with her.

"But I don't need to tell you." Karissa said flatly. The tone she might have used might have been rude, but she didn't really care. Why the hell did Juvia need to know what she and Gray did with their time? She wasn't supposed to be following them in the first place. "I don't owe you anything."

Juvia looked incredibly jealous as if Karissa just insinuated that she had a tryst with him on the cruise. She took the bag that Karissa nonchalantly held out to her and stood tall.

"Karissa-san may have won this round, but Juvia will remind you again that she will come out on top. Juvia knows that you and Gray-sama are childhood friends so she knows that Gray-sama may have been acting nice because of their history." Karissa narrowed her eyes at her. "But Juvia will still win because she is determined to win his heart!"

...

...

...

Maybe she was right about him acting nice.

Because why the hell would he reciprocate?

Gray blinked at her reply. Her response came almost without missing a beat. She acted like he just told her a dumb joke.

She hate to admit it... but Juvia's words made sense to justify his reply. She didn't believe him for a second. Why would she? Her heart refused to be swayed by some unbelievable lie. With a tired nod of her head, she pulled her door open. "Right. Of course, you do. Gray, that's not funny." Her tone carried a warning. Even he should know that she didn't appreciate jests like that. That was crossing a line that she always found displeasing when she witnessed other people do it.

He didn't expect this response. And he also didn't like the way her tone sounded. Gray's brows knitted. "I'm serious."

Did he think she'd deny it? Yes. Optimism was never her best friend. Pessimism seemed much closer to her. He remembered her saying that it was better to be pessimistic rather than the opposite to avoid being too disappointed by whatever the circumstance. Rationality.

But he didn't think she'd reply with a tone that basically called him a liar, dripping with discontent.

She was getting borderline upset.

With a scoff, she stepped inside her room and waved her hand at him without looking back, wishing him goodnight. She could see the water bottle and her tome sitting near the small table. Her bag was sitting in a corner, right next to the closet where futons normally hid. She could just study a bit more... But sleep seemed like a great idea right about now.

She nearly rolled her eyes when she heard her door open behind her. The moonlight blanketing the floor and her back. Gray slid the door closed behind for some privacy and didn't even bother opening the lights. Moonlight from the window made her glow in the center of the room. He'd consider it a beautiful sight if it weren't for the current situation.

"What, you think I'm lying?" Gray asked, absolutely confounded.

Karissa's mouth twitched. This was not how things were supposed to go. It was just getting more complicated. Her body turned to him. He could see her eyes become almost half-lidded as she apathetically stared at him. But he could feel annoyance radiating off her. "Did you hear me?" she retorted. "I said that I like you. Like as in that love shit. So why aren't you saying 'uh sorry don't feel the same'? Why are you lying to my face? Think it's funny?"