3. The Odd One Out

18 days had passed since Deliora's attack. Gray, Karissa and Lyon were currently at home minding their own business while Ur was out. In order to earn a living, she often took on job requests as a freelance mage. Whenever she did, the three of them would take the day off and stay at home since they couldn't go with her. It was dangerous. She usually wouldn't be gone for more than half a day but if she did, there was some food that was at their disposal. They weren't going to starve. They were also allowed to go train on their own outside if they wanted but they weren't allowed to go higher up the mountain, they need to stay within the house's perimeter for safety reasons.

Gray and Lyon did a bit more training on their own since they had nothing better to do while Karissa just stayed inside the house to draw. Ur had gotten her some art supplies from town a few days ago ever since she learned that Karissa liked drawing. She kept grabbing some paper she found and usually doodled with a pen that was sitting somewhere. She figured it would be better to get her some things that could let her have fun on her own. It was better than letting her and Lyon run around together since she didn't like sitting still and was always curious.

Because of how absorbed Lyon and Gray were in their solo training, they didn't come inside to eat yet so Karissa just ended up eating a sandwich by herself.

They came back while she was already back at drawing again.

"You're still drawing?" Gray said flatly when he saw her so focused on the piece of paper.

Karissa lifted up her head and looked at him, "Yeah, why?"

"Nothing." Gray said tiredly before going upstairs to change into some comfier clothes. Karissa just watched his back disappear from her sight as he climbed up the steps. She was worried about him. He wasn't exactly easygoing as he used to be before his world went to hell that night but that didn't stop her from trying to talk with him. Of course, she knew that he was angry that his parents died because of Deliora, she knew that Gray was still somewhat the same despite his grumpy attitude lately, she could see it, but she couldn't help but worry about his narrow mindedness on revenge lately. He was really itching to learn to powerful magic to beat Deliora. It was like it was all he thought about. She was just glad he didn't know where that monster was at the moment or else he'd be running off if he didn't know better.

He should lighten up a little bit.

Lyon, who came inside after Gray, saw the slightly dejected pout Karissa had before she went back to her drawing. He pursed his mouth when he glanced at Gray, just in time to see him disappear behind the door. He was always so crabby. The bluish silver haired boy cheerfully bounced over to where Karissa was and sat on the floor like her. He sat in front of the table on her right side so he'd be able to see her draw properly without having to sit next to her. There were several drawings on the table. He noted that most of them were of people. The one she was current drawing was one of her ice creations from the previous day. He saw her sitting on a log while he and Gray sparred in front of Ur. She was playing around with her molding magic to pass the time; she was passing the time with her imagination. An eight-pointed star surrounded by four pinwheels.

"Wow!" Lyon picked up a drawing of a boy sitting on a bench with a little jelly monster at its feet. "You're so good at drawing, Karissa."

"You think so?" Karissa looked up from the paper and gazed at him a bit startled by his sudden appreciation for her creativity. Lyon nodded vigorously he held up the drawing in front of her and pointed at it. "Better than me. I can't even draw like this." He held up the paper in front of him at arm's length to look at it once more.

"Hey, do you think you could draw me?" Lyon asked her with a grin.

"What, you mean like, you pose in front of me and I draw?" Karissa asked quizzically. "I can't do that." she shook her head rapidly. Gray, in a new set of clothes, came down the stairs since he was wondering what Lyon was boasting about this time. Karissa saw him come down and smiled at him a little before turning her attention back on Lyon.