13: The Icy Conflict

After she found where the villagers were staying, she allowed them to take Gray off her hands in order to tend to his wounds. Karissa took that opportunity to put a protective barrier of wind around the area to protect the villagers. If anyone tried breaking through then she would know.

When one of the villagers noticed that she kept peeking inside different tents to try and find Gray, they went to bring her to the tent where he was staying in. Her timidity had kicked in and she was too shy to ask around when they were busy setting up things. She found a woman inside putting away some things in a box.

When the villager heard her, she jumped and whirled around. Karissa stared at her silently before talking. "I... I just wanted to check on him..."

"Oh no, it's fine! I just finished tending to his wounds. All he needs is rest." The woman smiled at her. She picked up a small bag from a box and excused herself after the female ice wizard thanked her quietly.

She sat down on the ground against a wooden box and just stared at Gray. His dark shirt was folded nicely on the side. He had bandages wrapped around his torso and shoulder along with a small bandage on his forehead.

I wonder when he'll wake up though.

Her hand scrubbed the back of her head.

Lucy's off fighting Sherry while Natsu is busy with Toby and Yuka. We'll have to wait for everyone to regroup so we can figure out what to do next.

Karissa sighed heavily as she tipped her head back against the box. The protection of the villagers was a major priority alongside stopping Deliora's resurrection. Her eyes narrowed a little. Right. She also forgot to tell Natsu and the others about Lyon's intention. She should have told Natsu before she left. That was a mistake.

"Ngh..."

Karissa blinked and straightened her head to look at Gray. He was knitting his brows in his sleep. Quietly, she shuffled closer so that she was sitting criss cross near his head.

It didn't look like he was ready to wake up.

Yeah, it'll probably take a while...

Karissa refused to sleep even after seeing a sign of the new dawn. She could see the skies getting a tad bit brighter through a small gap in the tent.

Her goal right now was to wait with the village people and keep an eye out for any danger. The wind around the area had been acting as her third eye for a while now but she didn't detect anything unusual. If Lyon's subordinates were as loyal as the other three, then they must have realized that they failed to eradicate to village along with its people in one shot. Surely, they would rectify this problem once they noticed their lack of results.

Karissa stared blankly at Gray while she kept thinking.

Maybe he doesn't have anymore subordinates that are as strong as the three.

Slowly, she reached for the spare bandages at Gray's side.

And I don't hear any of Natsu's destruction right now... that must mean his battle is over or that he's having a problem.

She shifted on her knees.

If no one's showing up now then that has to be because there isn't anyone else.

The roll of bandages was tucked away into her pocket.

Yeah, instead of just sitting around and doing nothing she should be doing something else.

You take out the chain of command and everything falls apart.

That's Lyon.

"Hopefully by then, everything will just be a nightmare for you."