I squeezed my eyes shut. Hating that such a beautiful power could bring up such ugly memories. As though sensing my rising panic, Rhys squeezed my hand tightly. I squeezed back.

Just a friendly way to support a member of his court. That's all.

Only seconds later, light crept through my shut eyelids. I yanked my hand from Rhys's almost immediately as I opened my eyes, ignoring the way my hand felt cold as I did.

We were surrounded by sunny blue skies and chirping birds. In the distance lay an almost blindingly bright ocean. The water was teal, getting darker as the water grew deeper. It was beautiful.

The heat, however, was not. It was hot and humid, making my skin have this slightly sticky feel as I was assaulted by a warm breeze.

As fast as the snapping of fingers, I set my mask in place. I narrowed my eyes just slightly, giving myself an almost seductive look as I tilted my lips upward just slightly. I made a show of silently looking over my surrounding, immediately sensing the eyes on the three of us.

We stood on what looked like a landing platform made of tan bricks. Looking up to a palace fit for the Summer Court. A castle built on a large mountain island. The city was spread below us like a perfectly painted picture. Bridges connected the different islands.

I held my head high, my shoulders back, standing in a way that emphasized my various 'assets'. Just like I'd been taught when it came to seducing the enemy.

Stijn would have been proud.

"Welcome to Adriata." A male voice spoke, and my eyes wandered to the small group of people in from of us. I tilted my head slightly as my eyes landed on the male that had spoken, a calculated move that revealed the scope of my neck.

Rhys drawled from beside me, "Good to see you again, Tarquin."

I observed, inwardly snorting as the five or so people behind him exchanged a variety of frowns. Like their High Lord, their skin was dark, their hair shades of white and silver. Their eyes, however, were a multitude of gorgeous colors. And they now shifted between Amren and I.

Rhysand slid a hand into his pocket irreverently and waved the other in the air, gesturing to Amren on his right, "Amren, I think you know. Though you haven't met her since your...promotion."

Tarquin spared Amren a small dip of his head, "Welcome back to the city, Lady."

Amren didn't so much as blink as her eyes scanned him up and down. "At least you're far more handsome than your cousin. He was an eyesore." I physically held back a snort of amusement. Bold, she was. "Condolences, of course." she said, her lips curving into a menacing smile.

Wicked, cruel. That was the game Amren and Rhys were playing. And, oh, how I loved my games.

Rhys finally gestured to me as I tilted my lips into an absolutely alluring smirk as I parted my lips slightly. "I don't believe you two were ever formally introduced Under the Mountain. Tarquin, Danika. Danika, Tarquin."

"A pleasure, I'm sure." I said, my voice like soft silk. I enunciated my words like an art. Like the waves brushing up against the shore less than a mile away.

Tarquins eyes were fixed on me as his gaze trailed down to my chest, at the skin that was clear as day through the V of my gown. As though he could see—or sense, the power that lurched there just as Rhysand had.

The High Lord of the Night Court followed his eyes, "Her breasts are rather spectacular, aren't they? Delicious as ripe apples."

I turned my gaze to him, giving our crowd the show I knew they were expecting for the Night court as I looked up through my lashes, an absolutely immodest smirk on my face that I knew would give them all the impression I wished it to.

I looked straight at Rhys's violet eyes as I said, "And here I was, thinking my mouth was your favorite allure." A sweet temptation was evident in my voice.

The High Lord's eyes lit with delight as a flicker of approval wound down the bond within us. I could have sworn I detected something very un-High Lordly as well.

We both looked back to our hosts. I found Tarquin studying us already, "You have a tale to tell, it seems."

"We have many tales to tell." Rhys said, his chin jerking toward the doors behind the people in front of us. "So why not get comfortable."

A watched in fascination as the female behind Tarquin inched slightly closer, "We have refreshments prepared."

Tarquin put a hand on her shoulder, "Cresseida—Princess of Adriata." I looked at the princess, her long silver hair blowing across her face. I looked into her brown eyes, filled with an unmistakable sense of cunning.

"A pleasure," she spoke to me, "and an honor."

I bit down the nausea that her small bit of groveling brought up, not even a crack in my mask. I sent her the most devilish and sweet smile I could muster, "Oh, but the honor is all mine, Princess." I said the last word, both a curse and a praise.

The rest of Tarquins little cadre was introduced hastily—I honestly didn't remember any of their names aside from the curious Prince of Adriata: Varian, who couldn't seem to yank his eyes away from Amren. He knew who the biggest look was, and he looked as though he would be happy to kill her if the opportunity should arise.

In the entirety of the time I'd known her, I didn't think I'd ever seen Amren more delighted.

"Shall we?" Tarquin spoke finally, gesturing with open arms toward the palace behind him. One by one, we each filtered into the palace.

It was almost sad that Tarquin didn't know he was leading foxes into a hen house.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/: Hi friends! I've been struggling with inspiration lately, and I'm thinking of starting an easy story to write, like a modern romance or something, just to help me get back into the groove of writing regularly. Whatcha guys think?