Luke drags out a long "mmhmm" sound in agreement to Riley's breakfast invitation before busing himself with boiling water and grabbing a container of instant coffee out of a cabinet. Riley sends me a coy smile and an apologetic look. I wave her off. Luke doesn't disturb. He came at the right time and despite the little nosy vibes he gives off, he took away from the awkwardness this breakfast was undoubtedly heading towards.

Even though I know I won't like instant coffee, I accept when he asks if I want a cup. I'm more into freshly ground beans and dark roasts. My entire family is.

Luke places three cups on the countertop and leans against it, grinning but also frowning.

"You look... weird," Riley remarks, her spoon almost missing her mouth as she spills some almond milk. She's so clumsy at times, I love it.

"Yeah, well, Chase just left." He shrugs.

Riley jumps up. "What do you mean, he left?"

The kettle starts to puff out steam as Luke rubs his hand over the back of his neck. "He's checking out housing options in Perth since the semester is about to start soon. He kept it all a secret for a while because he didn't want to hurt my feelings. Can you believe that? Apparently, he knew about his scholarship for weeks. Weeks."

"Oh." Riley stands, hugging her brother. "I'm so sorry."

"This sucks," Luke whines, slumping into his sister. "What do I do?"

"Did you...?" Riley starts cautiously.

"Break up?" Luke finishes, and snorts. "No. But it damn feels like it."

Riley squeezes him closer, searching for words but finally giving up and settling her lips in a hard line.

I suddenly feel out of place. I stand and squeeze Luke's shoulder, getting a clipped nod from him before he buries his face in Riley's shoulder. She rolls her bottom lip between her teeth and nods when I murmur, "I'll text you." I let my hand linger on her back a little longer before I leave them be.

Out on the porch again, I hear Luke's muffled voice asking, "Did Mason sleep here?"

Riley doesn't groan or anything, but her reply is strained. "Let's focus on your problem now, okay?"

"Blue, your t-shirt is on the floor over there."

I don't hear Riley's reply but smile a little at that. We're not subtle. At all. Maybe we are screaming that there's something going on from a rooftop after all. A message a little different to what I thought about earlier, but still.

Climbing into the car and easing out the driveway, I gradually start to realize how mentally drained I am. I'm exhausted and need a nap.

But when I get home, I'm wide awake physically and hazy mentally. I roll around a couple times, then huff and get up to throw on workout clothes. I run mile after mile until my knees won't agree with me anymore and I'm dripping with sweat.

My second attempt to nap finally works and I fall asleep immediately. When I wake up, it's after seven in the evening.

Checking my phone for new messages, I put in my headphones and, without thinking, call my brother, needing advice. The line rings for a long time and when the call finally connects, it's silent on the other end.

"Kace? You on?" I ask.

"Shit, man," he murmurs through a yawn. "Everything alright?"

"What time is it over there?"

"Five something."

"A.m.?" Shit. "Sorry, I didn't realize that. I'm gonna let you go."

"Wow. You apologizing? I must still be sleeping." The sarcasm and sleep are thick in his voice.