Chapter 15 | Latch

"Anything?" I ask as we drive down the street, Scott sticking his head out of the window. He sniffs the air before looking back at me, shaking his head.

"Nothing," he says before sticking his head back out, smelling for a scent of Stiles.

Isaac sighs from the back seat. "This is hopeless."

"No it's not," I say, looking back at him. "It's better than waiting around for Lydia to get a sign or something."

Isaac shrugs. "Well, it could be more useful than trying to smell Stiles from the road. He said he was in a basement, not outside."

I was about to argue with Isaac again before Scott wrinkles his nose up. "I smell something."

"What is it?" I ask desperately, taking my eyes off of the road for a minute, causing me to swerve slightly.

Scott shakes his head while holding onto the side of the car. "I'm not sure, but it's burning my eyes."

I slam on the breaks after I hear Scott say this. Everyone flies forward as I grip the steering wheel, holding my breath as the car skidded to a halt. Isaac takes deep breaths as the car stops, turning and yelling at me.

"What in the hell are you doing?" he shouts, but I ignore him. I jump out of the car as Scott follows after me, chasing me as I started to run into the woods, the smell coming across my nostrils. Scott was right; it was burning my eyes.

"Sarah!" Scott shouts from behind me. "Where are you going?"

"Stiles said he smelled something that made his eyes burn," I say, dodging the trees as I ran. "He has to be around here!"

I hear Scott start to run faster as I do as well, but I managed to be faster than him. I don't know how I was, but I managed to get far enough ahead that I couldn't hear his feet crunching the leaves under his feet anymore. I glance over my shoulder quickly, not seeing him through the darkness, but I press on.

I had to find Stiles.

My heart races in my chest as the scent gets stronger, causing my eyes to water from how much it burned. Whatever the hell the smell was, it made me want to puke. I almost smelled like a bug spray, but it was way stronger than that. It was like a person dumped about 20 cans of bug spray.

I run along before I stop in my tracks. In front of me was some type of huge tree stump that I vaguely remember Scott telling me about. I didn't know much about it, but it didn't matter at the moment. What mattered was what lied beside it.

Stiles.

A part of me is relieved that I found him as I run over to him, but when I reach him, I realize how bad of a situation he was in right now. I wrap my arms around him before shaking him, feeling how deathly cold he was.

"Stiles!" I scream at him. I needed him to wake up. "Stiles, come on!"

Stiles mumbles something before he bursts to life in my arms. I jump before he lets out a blood curdling scream, chilling me to the core. He grips onto my arms as he cries out, tears falling down his cheeks as well.

"Wait!" he screams, but it's hard to understand. "Please stop!"

"Stiles!" I scream as he struggles in my grasp. He lets out another scream before he turns and looks at me, seeing that it was me holding him. He calms down slightly before I take a deep breath. "Stiles, you're okay."

Stiles lets out a sob before lying back down in my arms, his chest heaving inwards and outwards. I let out a breath of relief before Scott comes running out of the woods, his eyes landing on Stiles and I. I look up at him before Stiles buries his head into my arm, soft sobs escaping his throat.