Chapter 35 - Slytherin

Chapter 35

3rd POV

Slytherin

Harry stood before the entrance to the Black Citadel. The great entry doors were made of iron and were decorated with a scene that set his teeth on edge, this was even before he felt Godric's anger at the sight of the doors.

The scene depicted on the door was of twelve long beard wizards, each bearing a wand standing above a kneeling populace wearing naught but rags with their heads bowed. A short bearded wizard stood beside each long bearded wizard. The wizards instead of weakening robes, wore armor and a cape, held together at the front with a brooch.

Each wizard bore an animal on their brooch and each short bearded wizard's brooch bore the same animal as one of the long bearded wizards.

'The cable. Ruling over the masses with blood and death. Each apprentice took on the animal sigil of their master and would carry that sigil as their own until they finished their training.' Godric explained, Harry could feel the anger these people still caused the founder.

'What happened when they finished their training?' Harry asked, almost afraid of the answer.

'Well, they left to find their own apprentice, taking another animal as their sigil in the process. But often they killed their master, taking their sigila as their own, as well as their throne.' Godric's rage was simmering and Harry figured it was best to let the subject drop.

"'Arry? Do you know the significance of this scene?" Fleur asked with a hand on his shoulder.

Harry closed his eyes and settled his nerves. He needed to be calm for what was coming. As he opened his eyes, he noticed the pink haired auror looking at him in confusion while Dumbledrore gave him a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, this is the seat of the Cabal's power. The cabal were a group of twelve wizards who ruled this area before Hogwartswas created by the founders. Each member of the cabal was a master wizard, the most powerful wizards in the area and each of them had a single apprentice." Harry gestured at the door, showing the masters and the apprentices.

"The founders defeated the cabal in a battle at the gates of Hogwarts, but only a single founder knew of the location of this place. Salazar hunted the cabal and killed them all, for the safety of Hogwarts. He wasn't a monster at this time, he was the greatest of heroes, brother in all but blood to Godric." Harry trailed off, taking a breath and Fleur took hold of his hand.

"We should go in. Professor, are we ready?" Harry asked and Dumbledore gave a slight nod before turning to Mad-Eye Moody who Harry had forgotten was there.

Moody turned and barked something to two authors who nodded and moved to stand beside the wizards and witches they had taken prisoner.

Moments later, Dumbledore turned to Harry and Fleur.

"May I ask that the two of you cover the rear of our party? Alastor and I will take the front." Harry nodded, knowing that if Salazar was around only the three of them stood a chance, no need to have them all at the front of the group.

Harry watched Dumbledore and Moody wave their wands at the door, a flash of blue light signaled the great iron doors opening. He held his breath, releasing Fleur's hand and drawing his second wand. Harry shared at a glance with Fleur who nodded.

"We will win this, 'Arry." She promised and Harry couldn't hold the smile that grew on his face.

A moment later the two turned to the group of twenty aurora walking through the open iron doors of the Citadel, each holding their wands in a ready stance.