Chapter 5 - A Strong Start

Chapter 5
3rd POV
A Strong Start

The basement of twelve Grimmauld Place was lit from a series of bright spells. Jets of scarlet, of yellow and cerulean flashed across the room from Harry's wand, punctuating his shouts.

On the other side of the room, Sirius stood, batting away Harry's spells as if they were of no consequence.

Harry narrowed his eyes at Sirius' smirk and fired disarming hexes, leg locker jinxes, even a few bludgeoning hexes. But as it was approaching ten minutes of constant spell-casting Harry felt his eyes growing heavy from all the magic he had been using, the drain on himself was more than he had expected.

Sirius had yet to fire a single spell, content to just bat away Harry's spells.

Harry knew he was on his last legs, so he focussed his magic, his mind on one final spell. He had shanneled the anger he felt over not being better, of failing Cedric, his fear of losing his friends the next time trouble found him.

He forced all his emotion into a single spell.

"Expelliarmus!" He called, the spell flew out of his wand with the force of a cannon, forcing his hand back from the recoil.

Harry felt a searing heat in his wand hand, and he dropped it. The wand clattering on the ground, smoking while he held his burnt hand against his chest. It was already an angry red.

Harry saw Sirius shield the spell; a glowing golden shield that shattered as his spell crashed into it. Sirius wore a calculating glint in his eye, followed by a wide grin as the man saw Harry drop to his knees beside his wand, still too hot to touch.

Harry's gaze was locked on his smoking wand.

"Sirius, what happened?" He asked, worried in his voice.

Sirius barked a laugh, his eyes sparkling.

"Oh, nothing to worry about pup. But it was something cool." The ex-con said, a wide grin on his face.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked, taking deep breaths, trying to hold off the heaviness of his eyes.

"That last spell of yours is stronger than anything your dad ever sent my way. He could never beat my shield, well, not with one spell." Sirius strode to Harry and plopped himself on the floor in front of his godson, his legs crossed.

"I'm very proud of you pup, we've got some work to do so we can get you ready for everything, but you've got a solid grounding. Especially considering you've only had one good defence teacher, not including a death eater." He paused, rubbing his goatee in consideration.

Harry was still staring at his wand, his non burnt hand reaching out to touch it, only to shy away from the heat still coming off it.

"But Sirius, why is my wand still too hot?"

"That's because you forced too much magic through it at once. I'll be showing you how to be more efficient with your spell-casting in the next few days, but it was just to see where you were at." Sirius said with a smile before standing, pulling Harry to his feet.

"Now pup, let's get that burn looked at and have a quick break while your wand cools down." Sirius put a hand on Harry's shoulder leading him out of the basement.