Chapter 41

George threw the door open, only to find a spiral staircase heading downward. The agent nodded towards his K-9, who gracefully jumped down from one landing to the other. The brunette, on the other hand, decided to simply run down, not wanting to risk breaking his ankle by following his partner's stunts.

Dream of course reached the ground first and found himself entering an underground parking lot. There were only a few cars parked, and most of the floor was eerily dark.

The K-9 cautiously walked around looking for their target. He felt like he was being watched, so he knew that the masked man was still around. A chill ran down his spine, and he instantly ducked as a bullet flew over his head.

He ran towards the direction that the bullet came from, and tackled the shooter to the ground. Another bullet came whizzing by, missing his leg by an inch. He immediately got off the man and ducked behind a car for cover.

A rain of bullets pelleted the car, and in the darkness, Dream could barely make out how many of them there were. When his eyes finally managed to make out a figure he stood up and fired his gun, killing his target before ducking down once again.

Dream only had a limited amount of bullets on him, but he was very efficient. While his opponents constantly and recklessly opened fire, he waited till he locked down on a specific person before shooting, and with his skills, he didn't miss a single shot.

Soon he cleaned up the group of shooters and cautiously approached their bodies. When he confirmed that they were all dead, he reached up to his earpiece to inform the rest of the team.

"Dream!" George's voice cut through the silence, followed by a gunshot.

Dream didn't know how it happened, a second ago he was standing up. Now, he was on the ground with George on top of him, blood slowly seeping out of his master's stomach.

No... no not again! Dream internally cried, as he held George's slowly paling body in his arms, tears streaming down his face.

At that moment he forgot everything, even the fact that the shooter was still out there. All he could see was the life slowly leaving his master's eyes.

Tearing a part of his shirt he struggled to gently but firmly push down on the wound, hoping to prevent his partner from bleeding out.

"George stay with me, don't close your eyes!" the blonde yelled in desperation.

"Come along now Dream," a voice spoke up, and out of the darkness emerged the masked man, with several other armed guards behind him.

"He's bleeding out too fast Dream, if you come with us quietly, I'll do you the favor of ending his suffering," the man continued.

All the blonde heard were indistinguishable mummers, his ears rang as memories of Illumina dying flooded his brain once again. His body started shaking uncontrollably, and a wave of violence and panic forced its way to the surface.

Kill! Tear them limb from limb! Torture them till they cry out for mercy! Show them the monster that you truly are, An evil voice echoed in his head.

"Dream..."

The voice was weak, barely above a whisper, but it managed to break Dream away from his dark thoughts.

"George, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..." the K-9 sobbed.

"It's not your fault Dream."

"It was my job to protect you, I failed again..."

"Dream this was my own dumb decision, don't you dare blame yourself for this. If I had a chance to go back in time, I wouldn't change my actions Dream." George reached up to touch the blonde's cheek, and wipe away a few tears.