Chapter 19

Alessia

I couldn't sleep very much that night. The pain kept me awake. So did the nightmares. I wake up thinking I'm back in the cellar, sweat sticking to my body. I quickly look around, remembering what had happened. I look down noticing that I'm in his shirt, butterflies start forming in my stomach at the thought. 

I slowly walk down the stairs holding onto the railing, ensuring that I don't fall. Every step I take sends a sharp pain through my body, unlike any I've dealt with before. As I reach the bottom, I let out a quick exhale and make my way towards the kitchen to find an icepack.

I open up the freezer, grab the ice pack, and wrap it with paper towels so it's not to cold. As I hold it to my wound, I close my eyes and lean back against the counter.

"Oh Alessia! I did not expect you to be awake this soon. I would have made you something." One of the maids said, startling me.

"Oh, um, It's okay, I'm not that hungry anyways, thank you though." I reply with a small smile.

"Wait a minute, why are you up out of bed? Let me go get Lorenzo, he'll be happy to know you're awake, he's been really worried about you." She says while turning around to leave.

"No that's alright, I don't want to trouble you, I can go get him." I exclaim, while putting the ice pack down.

"Okay then, go down the hall and make a left, he's should be in there" She replies with a smile.

I nod my head and make my way to the hallway. I put my hand against the wall to give me support.

As I get closer to the door, I hear talking, almost like a conference is going on. I hesitate, not wanting to disturb him.

As I hear the talking subside, I open the door just slightly, just enough to see that Lorenzo is sitting at the head of the table. When my eyes meet his, I find him already looking at me.

He raises his hand to indicate the talking to stop.

"Im going to have to cut this meeting short, I need everyone out." He says deeply, his eyes never leaving mine. The men get up confused, and start making their way towards the door. 

As they all leave one by one, I notice them staring at me, and I quickly realize why. My cheeks turn bright red as I realize I'm only in his shirt.

Once the room is emptied, I walk in closing the door behind me. I turn around and see Lorenzo now standing, leaning back against the table, arms crossed.

"You're up early. Everything okay?" He asks in a concerned tone.

"Yeah, I'm okay, I couldn't sleep the pain kept me awake." I reply, now leaning back against the wall in exhaustion.

"Come sit. You shouldn't be standing." He says while pulling out a chair. I make my way towards him, and take a seat, slowly lowering myself. He puts his hand in the small of my back for support.

He pulls out the chair next to him, and turns it to face me.

"What's next Enzo. I screwed up, he knew our plan." I say in defeat, avoiding eye contact with him.

"None of this was your fault Alessia. Antonov is..." he pauses while taking a deep breath. "a smart guy. We just have to be smarter." He replies.

I scoff, noticing how he now sounds like my dad. I now look at him, and notice his face of confusion.

"Sorry it's just that my dad used to say the same thing to me. But in much worse context." I say, nervous.

His eyes darken, and his jaw clenches.

"Alessia you know I'm nothing like that piece of shit." He replies, now with an angry tone.

He thought I was comparing him.
No. He isn't anything like him.

"Thats not what I meant, it's just ironic. Every time a plan or mission fails it's always that they are smarter. It is my fault Lorenzo. Saying it isn't doesn't change that he got away." I explain, looking away with embarrassment.

"Yes Alessia he did get away. He could have stayed long enough to make sure that he killed you, but instead he left you. And thank fucking god he did." Lorenzo replies leaning forward, now grabbing the arm of my chair, pulling me closer towards him.

He gently grabs my chin, forcing me to look at him.

"It doesn't matter anymore Lessia. All we can do is be ready next time. We will get him. You know that. It doesn't just end here Alessia. We'll talk with Antonio and figure out what to do next okay?" He says calmly.

I nod my head agreeing. He's right.

"Okay i'm going to go get you new wrap for your wound. I'll change it for you." He states.

As he gets up, he quickly pauses, and pulls down my shirt, covering up more of my legs.

"Next time cover up. I don't want the others to see you like this." He says, darkly.

Then with that, he leaves.

What. A. Tease.