33. Prophecies Ruin Everything

{-} Harry {-}

  The Death Eaters loomed over him, covering any way he could escape. More of them came from other doorways. Harry got to his feet shakingly, surprised that the prophecy was still in his hand.

  "Potter, your race is run," drawled Lucius Malfoy, "now hand me the prophecy like a good boy."

  Harry had reached the dais where an archway stood. The Death Eaters halted, gazing at him.

  "Let-let the others go, and I'll give it to you!" said Harry desperately.

  A few of the Death Eaters laughed.

  "You are not in a position to bargain, Potter," said Malfoy, his pale face flushed with pleasure. "You see, there are ten of us, and only one of you...or hasn't Dumbledore ever taught you how to count?"

    "I'm not going to give you the prophecy," Harry snarled. "I won't."

  "You've only brought it harder on yourself, Potter." Malfoy lifted his wand, his cold eyes on Harry. "Cruc-"

  "Stop!" a familiar voice yelled from behind a stone bench.

  Harry and the Death Eaters all turned in surprise.

  Harry's heart sank. It was Neville, he had followed him. He was scrambling down the stone benches towards him, Hermione's wand held in his trembling hand.

  "Neville-no-" Harry started.

  "STUPEFY!" Neville shouted, pointing his want at each Death Eater in turn. "STUPEFY! STUP-"

  One of the largest Death Eaters seized Neville from behind, pinning his arm to his sides. He struggled and kicked; several of the Death Eaters laughed, enjoying what was happening in front of them.

  "It's Longbottom isn't it?" sneered Lucius Malfoy. "Well, your grandmother is used to losing family members to our cause...your death won't come as a great shock."

  "Longbottom?" repeated Bellatrix, and a truly evil smile lit her face. "Why, I had a pleasure meeting your parents, boy."

  "YOU EVIL HAG!" roared Neville, and he fought so hard against his captor's encircling grip that the Death Eater shouted, "Someone stun him!"

  "No, no, no," said Bellatrix, with an evil smile curling on her lips. "No, let's see how long Longbottom lasts before he cracks like his parents...unless Potter wants to give us the prophecy."

  "DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM!" roared Neville, kicking and trying to shake the Death Eater off him as Bellatrix drew nearer to him and his captor, her wand raised. "DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM, HARRY!"

  Bellatrix raised her wand. "Crucio!"

  Neville let loose a blood-curling scream. The Death Eater holding him dropped him and he fell to the floor, twitching and screaming.

  "That was just a taster!" said Bellatrix gleefully, raising her wand so that Neville's screams stopped. He laid sobbing at her feet. "Now, Potter, either give us the prophecy, or watch your little friend die the hard way!"

  There was no choice. Harry couldn't let his friend suffer because of him. The prophecy was hot with the heat of his clutching hand as he held it out.

  Suddenly, in that split second, a figure darted from the way Neville came from. The Death Eaters hadn't even noticed, with their eyes hungrily on Harry's hand. The person came from behind Bellatrix, took it's hold on her wrist and sent her body sprawling to the floor. It was a Judo Flip.

  Bellatrix's cold smile had turned to a gasp. She didn't even have time to react, for she was now lying on the cold floor, with a blonde, deep tanned person, holding her firmly to the ground.