Papas

Suggested listening: Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor - Come What May

-Hwoarang! I came as soon as you called. How are you, love?

-I don't... I don't know. It wasn't a pleasant view. I... feel sick to my stomach. She died alone, Jin. No one deserves to die like that. Not even Megan.

-You're right. Any sign as of why she did what she did, if I may ask?

Hwoarang, after looking out for any policeman, gave Jin the letter. He read it, and when he was through, he closed his eyes, sighing.

-I understand much more of her actions now. I don't condone them, but I understand them. I'm sorry you found yourself caught in the middle of this. Don't let it destroy you. Eun-Jung needs you more than ever, you're all she has now.

-You're wrong. We are all she has.- Hwoarang smiled timidly, as much as the situation allowed him to. He was sitting on the law wall outside Megan's apartment. Jin, standing, hugged him, slowly caressing his hair.

-Yes. She has us.

//

After a tiresome morning at the police station giving statements and signing papers for the baby, Jin and Hwoarang finally got home. The Korean got permission from the authorities to collect any belongings of Eun-Jung from her mother's place, so they found themselves with clothing, various machines, stuffed animals and a good number of blankets. They would have to make space for everything, or better, rearrange the kitchen space, buy a new closet, and baby-proof the house as much as possible, before Hwoarang exploded with his "but this is dangerous for Eun-Jung".

Jin went buying furniture and baby-proofing stuff, while the Korean made space in the kitchen for the new machines: bottle warmer, fruit smasher, baby food cooker and other amenities they didn't know they would need in their life until some months ago. When Jin was back, Eun-Jung was sleeping, so they built the new closet for the baby's clothing, and they started covering all the plugs, put silicon stops on all tables' angles, gathering and covering all the electric wires with plastic tubes. When Hwoarang was satisfied with the job, they finally rested on their bed.

-Babies are a lot of work on the house alone, eh?

-We had to be sure she was safe here, Jin.

-I wasn't complaining. Just making a statement.

-Sorry, I'm a bit excited. My daughter... is going to live with me. With me. Forever. This is huge. It's not just three times a week when her mother allows. It's... always.

When he turned to Jin, Hwoarang's eyes were lucid with pure emotion. The Japanese got emotive as well at the heartwarming vision. It was not so ordinary in their lives to have such pure, untainted joy. Eun-Jung was exactly that. And although it was still kind of difficult for him to express it through words to his lover, he wanted him to know he cared a great deal about her too.

-No, Hwoarang. Our daughter is going to live with us. As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to raise her as if she were mine, if you will allow me to. I will come clean, I fell in love with her in just two days, what do you think a life together will do to me? Eun-Jung is a gift we have to love and protect at all costs. She's our little princess, our jewel on the crown. She's going to have two amazing papas, and she won't ever have to worry about anything, because we will always be there for her, no matter what. And she can be a great fighter if she wants to, too.

-Oh, Jin.- said Hwoarang in a faint voice, kissing him sweetly.

They were interrupted by the baby's crying, since it was dinner time.

-Okay, papa, this time you are going to feed her, since you've never done that, okay?

-Okay, wifey, got it.

-Again with the wifey?- Hwoarang laughed.

-You're the one still wearing that monstrosity of an apron. So, wifey.

-Right, right. Well, go, the bottle has to be heated up. Not too much, though, pay attention.

-Way to build up anxiety, thanks. I'll do my best.

Jin went downstairs to heat the bottle up, while Hwoarang rocked Eun-Jung and talked with her in Korean. The baby seemed to like the sound of the language, because she always looked at him in awe when he did that. Jin came back soon enough.

-Let me feel that.

-You don't trust me!

-It's your first time, calm down. Yeah, a little too hot, but it can do. Okay, take Eun-Jung.

Jin slowly took the baby, still a little uncomfortable with how delicate she was, and she stopped crying, looking at him directly in the eyes and laughing happily.

-Hey! She likes you too, it seems, papa. Look at her smile. Love at first sight.

Jin was pretty much paralysed by that smile and laughter and couldn't help himself but to smile fondly at Eun-Jung. That little baby had probably stolen his heart in that exact moment. He woke up from the spell, remembering he actually had to feed her, and slowly gave her the bottle, which she went at with considerable hunger. It didn't take long before the bottle was empty, and the baby satisfied.

-Now you put her like that, yes, and pat on her back. She has to burp. I know it makes you laugh.

-Quite. It will always be my favourite part of feeding her, probably.

After a short while, the baby burped and Jin couldn't but laugh at it.

-It isn't that funny, you know.

-To me, it is. Don't judge me.

-Okay, now we have to wait for it to appear on the other side, if you know what I mean. Until it does, we can play a bit with her, my favourite part.

-How do you play with a three-month old baby?

-With stuff animals, silly noises and, in my case, a lot of Korean. She loves that.

-I can go with Japanese, hope she likes it as much.

-I think her mother only talked to her in English, so, yeah, anything that sounds foreign is strange to her. Woah, think about it, she will know three languages. This little genius.

-She is and will be a special child indeed. No wonder, though. It's yours.

Jin and Hwoarang exchanged a little kiss. Eun-Jung shrieking happily.