Walk The Line

Suggested listening: Saint Chaos, Sam Tinnesz - Walk - Acoustic

Hwoarang couldn't stop looking into the eyes of his daughter, as if she were some kind of miracle, or his mother reborn.

-Hey, little one. You're beautiful, you know that? You look just like your grandmother. She would have spoiled you dead.

Her hands were so tiny he couldn't believe it, her bloated belly looked funny, and her legs were so little as well. He had never seen a baby that young.

-Think you'll ever give her back, Hwoa?

-Oh, yes. Sorry. I was... looking at her.

-She's beautiful, isn't she? With a father like you, one could expect nothing less. She's your spit image. She has your wonderful eyes.

-Megan, I... decided I want to be in her life. I don't want her to grow up without a father, and to be honest, I'm already in love with her. But that doesn't mean I want to reconcile with you or be a part of your life. Understand?

-Loud and clear. When she's a little older I will bring her to your place, say, two or three times a week, but for now, you'll have to come to mine. She's too little to be separated from me. Is it a deal?

-Deal. And I want to officially be on her documents. I want to legally be her father.

-That was up to you. It's fine by me. It's yours. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a baby to feed.

-Sure. I'll go and sign the documents then.

He was signing the last paper when Jin called.

-So, how did it go? Is it a boy or a girl?

-She's a girl. And she looks just like my mother. It made me emotional. I gave her my mother's name. Jin... I'm a father, can you believe that?

-Still strange to associate that word with you, to be honest, but I'm happy for you, I can hear the enthusiasm in your voice.

-I hope you will want to know her when I am able to bring her home for my time with her.

-Hwoarang... of course. She's blood of your blood. I can forget where she came from, and how. I want to. For you and for us.

-And I thought, you're basically her stepfather. The coolest and most handsome stepfather ever.

Jin laughed. -I admit I hadn't thought about it like that. I guess I am. Anyway, when you're coming back, I have some information about Megan that I'd like to share with you.

-If that's necessary. The less I know, the better I feel.

-I do think you should know this. But, for the moment being, enjoy the time with your newborn daughter. You deserve it. Later, love.

But visitation hours finished way too soon, and Hwoarang had to leave Eun-Jung and go home to Jin. He still felt like he was walking on clouds, and everything would be perfect if it wasn't for Megan. At this point, he was really curious at what Jin had to tell him about her. He got home, and the Japanese was waiting for him. He kissed him holding his face in his hands, then smiled.

-You smell like baby powder.

Hwoarang laughed. -You better get used to it, I'm afraid.

-Never said I didn't like it.

-So, detective Kazama... care to share your discoveries with me?

-Gladly. Remember I asked for her last name? That wasn't random. I needed it for my research.

-What a handsome devil you are.

-Yes. Anyway, I discovered a couple of interesting bits about her life. First of all, she doesn't have an aunt. Never had one to begin with. Her mother died from cancer when she was six. The inheritance she had, it was from her father, who died two years ago in a car crash. Apparently, he had drugs in his system, but he never touched anything before the incident in his life. Megan, on the other hand, has been in and out of rehab in Australia for years since she was a teenager. The reason why she hasn't done any progress as an alcoholic... it's because she isn't one. She's a drug addict instead. Crack, meth, heroin, you name it, she's tried it. She's also been arrested for possession, and that's why she came to Japan - to start with a clean slate. She's not who we thought she is. She's much worse, a compulsive liar with untreated drug problems.

-Fuck... do you think she used when she was pregnant? That Eun-Jung could be sick because of her?

-Only time can tell, sadly. What I know is, that baby isn't safe with her around.

-Can't we alert Child Services?

-Based on allegations? No, we'd need hard proof, and more than one.

-Then I'll try to stay with her as much as possible. See that everything is fine at least as long as I'm there.

-I'm afraid that's our only option, for now.

//

For three months, Hwoarang's visits went smoothly, and he didn't witness anything out of the ordinary. Until one day, he arrived at Megan's house, and a strange smell hit him all at once.

-Megan... what's this smell?

-Oh, this. Don't worry. I just smoked a bit of crack. Only a little bit. I'm not breastfeeding her anymore, so it's fine.

-Fine?! You smoked crack in front of my daughter and it's fine?

-Relax, she's in the other room. I'm not that reckless.

-Oh, so that makes it okay. Megan, wake up, you're falling into your old habits, and you can't take care of an infant if you're high half of the time.

-And what do you know about my habits now?

-Enough to know they're toxic as for you as for the baby. And you know which of the two I care about, anyway.

-I KNOW! You don't need to remind me I'm worthless.

Megan's shouting woke the baby up.

-See? You made me mad and know she's awake. Well done, Hwoarang.

He remained silent, trying to find a solution, a way to talk to her that would make her stop her from using drugs with a baby in the other room. But couldn't think of anything. Everything was blank, and he felt useless. He couldn't protect his own daughter.

-Megan? Maybe you feel stressed out by having to raise the baby on your own. Since now she takes the bottle, maybe I could take her home for a couple of days. She's old enough now. What do you think?

-Are you up to the task? She's a toddler, not a doll.

-I'm well aware of that. And yes, I can take care of her. And you can recover for a couple of days and decompress. Doesn't sound so bad, does it?

-I guess not. Okay, take her. If you need anything... figure it out. I don't want to hear it.

Hwoarang scoffed. -Don't worry, I won't be needing you. Now, Eun-Jung, let's go home and know your awesome and dashing stepdad.

Megan didn't hear this last part, because she was already smoking crack in the other room.

-Let's get out of here, Princess. This is not your castle. It's your tower, and she's the dragon.