Cherries and Vanilla- Danielle

Genre: Fluff

Summary: You've been best friends with Danielle since freshman year but recently you couldn't ignore your true feelings for her.

Warnings: Mentions of homophobia, mentions of bulimia

word count: 885

-------

Danielle is your best friend and it's been that way since freshman year. The two of you do everything together, she's so easy to get along with and she makes you feel appreciated. You were the only person she opened up to about her bulimia and you never left her side.

Junior year is the year you discovered your feelings for Danielle extended that of friendship. You'd always get distracted at cheer practice because you couldn't help but admire her. Every time she twirled the air was filled with her sweet vanilla perfume, the one you gave her for her birthday. The way she did your makeup before a game leaves you yearning to feel more of her touch. How your heart would skip a beat when she put her head on your lap. This is how you knew you were in love with your best friend.

You knew others who were attracted to the same sex like your friend Niki but it didn't make your situation any less stressful. You knew how people would look at you if they found out. How would she look at you?

To make matters worse, she's dating Jason, Hawkins High's very own stereotypical jock. They are the it couple of the school and everyone is jealous of their relationship, everyone including you.

What did she see in that douche? He's always out with his friends or at basketball practice. Jason never makes time for Danielle, she deserves better, she deserves someone who appreciates her like how you appreciate her. But if Jason ever found out how you felt about Danielle he'd never let her see you again.

So here you were comforting Danielle who was crying because Jay bailed on her again, "He promised Y/n!", she sobbed as you held her in your arms.

You were in Danielle's room sitting on her floral duvet as Blondie plays softly in the background, "I'm so sorry Dan, you don't deserve this.", your fingers brush through her blonde hair.

She pulls away and wipes her tears, how could she be so pretty even when she cries, "Let's go out.", she sniffles.

"Hmm..Dairy Queen?", you asked.

"You know me so well Y/n/n!", she smiled and grabbed your hand dragging you down the stairs and out of the house.

The two of you giggled and laughed as you walked towards the destination. The once solemn atmosphere was replaced by a warm glow, a glow only she could create.

By the time you guys arrived at Dairy Queen it was late and the sun was barley in the sky. No one else was there, just you and her. In order to save money Danielle got one large sundae to share. Seeing her eat make you happy.

Since Dairy Queen only has an outdoor patio you shivered under the cold breeze. Danielle scooted closer to you and put her head on your shoulder, "I feel like you're the only person who's there for me.", she said and grabbed you hand to interlock it with hers.

You set the sundae down next to you, "Don't say that Dan, so many people love you and care for you.", she nuzzled her head closer into you.

"But no one cares about me as much as you do.", you blushed at her words and she continued, "I'd rather be dating you than Jay.".

You froze, did she just say that in a "you're my best friend and I love you" sorta way or "I romantically like you" sorta way?

"Wh-what do you mean by that?", you said in a hushed voice. Danielle looked up at you and suddenly you felt her soft lips on yours. You tasted her cherry lipgloss and reminisce of vanilla ice cream. You both melted into the kiss, melted into each other.

She pulled back, "Is this okay?",.

"More than okay.", you smiled and pulled her into another kiss, it was gentle yet heated. Her hand rested just under your skirt on your exposed thigh, your arms draped over her shoulders and met each other behind her neck.

When the kiss ended you got the courage to speak up, "Danielle, I like you...romantically.", she brushed your hair to the side.

"I know, I've been too nervous to say anything.", she looked up at the stars and you did the same.

"So do you feel the same way? Or did our friendship become really awkward?", you said the last part under your breath.

Danielle grabbed your chin to look at her, "Of course I feel the same way, how could I not fall in love with you.". She stood up and you followed her.

"What about Jay?", she laughed and rolled her eyes.

"What about him? I don't need him now that I have the prettiest girl in the whole school.", your heart quickened at that statement.

"I think we both know you're the prettiest.", you teased.

Danielle stole a quick kiss on your lips, "Race you home?".

"Oh you're on, and don't expect me to go easy on you because you're cute.", Danielle started running and you followed close behind.

Both you and Danielle could be heard laughing and yelling by everyone as you ran back to her home. People may see you as friends but you both know you're lovers.