Under the Moonlight

Start from the beginning

When I spotted movement in the corridor, I grabbed the distraction from my book with both hands and turned my attention to the moving shadows. I figured it would be Conrad skulking around. He went to taverns at night to do gods know what. I never asked, my parents never asked, and I didn't want to know. It wasn't Conrad this time, however. A slim figure passed, and I realised it was Oleander moving to the front door.

Frowning, I got up from my seat and put my book down.

"Where are you going?" Valda asked.

"Just checking up on our guest," I replied vaguely.

Knowing full well I ran the risk of being followed by my siblings or mother, I cast furtive glances behind me as I made my way to the mansion's front door. A gentle breeze caressed my face when I stepped outside, and I was just in time to see a dark figure disappearing behind the corner. Upping my pace, I followed, and caught up with Oleander on the cliffs behind our mansion.

The sight was worthy of a painting. The moon illuminated Oleander's silhouette on the ridge. His hair blew in the wind like liquid silver, against a backdrop of a star-filled sky and a faint mist rolling over the waves. 

If I'd been a wiser man, I would've concluded Oleander wasn't doing anything unusual. Many guests had stared at the ocean in wonder during their first night in the mansion. There was no reason for me to be out here; I could return to my family by the fire. 

Instead, I walked closer.

As if he'd felt my presence, Oleander turned to face me. His eyes shone brightly as he smiled, but his words came out hesitant. "Lord Montbow?"

I stepped beside Oleander, crossing my arms. "Wanted some fresh air?" I asked.

"Yes, I think I am used to being outside," Oleander replied. "I was more at ease during our journey than I am in a mansion's room. Lovely as it is, of course. I mean no offence."

"Being outside is not helping you remember anything, though, is it?"

Oleander was quiet for a moment. "No, but it's strange," he said. "I don't know, but I feel. Herbs and plants hold no secrets for me. I know their uses, their taste and smell, but I don't know how I know."

"That's still a useful skill to have," I offered. "Maybe you are a herbalist or a scholar. Even if your memory never returns, you can make a good living with that at home."

Oleander's face fell at my mention of his memory never returning and I quickly amended, "I mean, it may yet return. It's only been a few days since we found you."

"Yes," Oleander said, but the flicker of sadness in his eyes remained. "I suppose I could start over, unburdened by the past. A freedom, in a way. But I think I would prefer a clear path. Like you, knowing you were already handfasted, and have a future as the heir of a family."

I laughed. "I think you're overestimating the advantages of being promised to someone from the day your storm-touched powers awakened. I haven't seen my betrothed in years. She's part of the queen's court in Wildewall, and yet still didn't come to see me when I went to the queen for her blessing for my dragon hunt."

Oleander tilted his head to the side. "Why would she not want to see her beloved?"

"Beloved?" I repeated, snorting loudly at the thought of Ariane, my betrothed on paper, genuinely calling me her beloved. "She wants nothing to do with me as a marriage partner or person until I'm a knight and the Montbow house is restored to its former glory."

Oleander's confusion only seemed to grow at my explanation. "She won't love you until you're standing tall?"

I shrugged. "Love has nothing to do with marriage. Even if I, against knowing better, hope differently for my sisters and brothers."

"That is a real shame." Oleander bit his lip. "I would wish for everyone to experience a true love."

"Yeah, well, burning passion is not in the cards for me," I said, wondering why I was still speaking. The elf didn't need to know this about my life. It was better if he didn't know, and if he stopped looking at me so intently. I had to turn away. My gaze fell on the ocean. "The only burns I'll get are from Endris' remarks, or a dragon's fiery breath."

"I see," Oleander said. It appeared he had picked up on my unease because changed the subject. "Is it customary to go to the queen for a blessing before a dragon hunt? How does that blessing go? Is it a magical blessing?"

"No," I replied quickly. "It's just a ceremony. The queen has a staff and will briefly touch your shoulder with it for luck. A remnant of an older, more elaborate tradition, I presume."

Oleander blinked. "What kind of staff?"

"Oh, at first sight, it's just a wooden staff. But it has a blood-red diamond sphere embedded in the wood. It was taken from..." I fell quiet for a moment and grimaced as I remembered the history behind the staff. "It was taken from the elves by the king's son near the end of the war. The royal family kept the staff, despite its origins. It's all a long time ago now, anyway."

"Yet, not long enough for you to permit yourself to see me as anything other than an elf you must rid yourself of," Oleander replied softly. "Even if you saved my life."

Somehow, somewhere during our talk, Oleander had slipped closer to me. He looked deeply into my eyes, and my heart pounded in my throat. He wanted to remain at my side for reasons I didn't understand. Then again, maybe I did. I did understand. Because despite barely knowing him, my cheeks turned red whenever I saw him looking at me. Right now, I was struck by an overwhelming urge to bring Oleander to the beach with me and lay in the sand. We could watch the sunrise together and then bathe in pleasantly warm water. 

It would be a breath of fresh air to have someone who was outside of my family and outside of the court in the mansion. Someone who didn't have a stake in my knighthood, and didn't care about the storm god blessing me. Even if all we ever did was talk and lay in the sand, I did want him to stay longer. 

I couldn't do this. I took a deep breath and steeled myself for more disappointment. 

"Oleander, I found you through sheer luck," I said. "It's only common decency to put a cloak around a freezing person and not leaving them to die. Endris has already chosen to pay your debt for you by offering his services to the Montbow family. If you want to repay me as well, do it by not wasting your life. Go to the Starcross woods. Find your people on the other side and live well."

Oleander stared at me. Until now, he had been an open book, his curiosity and kindness always easily read. Now, I couldn't tell what he was thinking. 

After enduring a silence that felt like ages, Oleander finally opened his mouth. "I understand. I will perform the task lady Montbow asks of me in the morning, then I will go," he murmured. "If we never meet again, which is likely, I wish you and your future wife much happiness. May you find a passionate love in your life, be it for another person or for something you do, and may you find a path to save your family without killing a creature that has done nothing to you."

Oleander bowed, then walked closer to the edge of the cliff, his back now facing me. I would have worried about it being dangerous, if I hadn't known how nimble he was. "I would like to stay out a little while longer, lord Montbow."

I felt like I needed to say goodbye. I likely wouldn't get another chance to speak with Oleander alone. Why wasn't I like Gisela, with needle-sharp words she knew exactly how to use? Then again, there was little to be said, regardless. 

I swallowed thickly. "Very well," I said. "Be careful. If you see anyone approaching the mansion, go inside."

When Oleander didn't respond, I turned on my heels and fled. 

Luck truly wasn't on my side tonight. As I snuck back into the mansion, Endris caught me at the door.

I flinched when our eyes met, and Endris looked at me in that deeply judgemental way only he could. Just like I didn't need to speak to look guilty, Endris didn't need to speak to scold me.

"Don't say a word," I ordered him regardless, stressing every word with flushed cheeks.

Endris shook his head with a sigh and brushed past me. "...Wasn't going to."