Chapter XVII: Introductions: Juri Aether, Welcome to the Agency

3rd Moon

27th Phase

2018

6:48 pm

What dark room was when I first came here was met with a brilliant light, as the sun set on the horizon, orange and yellow tints covering the walls. Shadows were left cloaking his face, leaving a most ominous impressions. With his fingers crossed, the Director stared intently at me.

//Spooky!//

With a minute passed, the Director shifted his gaze towards my companion and finally shared his words:

"Case closed, I take it?"

"Of course."

"Any complications?"

"What were, have been resolved."

"As expected. Gushiken?"

"Troublesome."

He chuckled.

"Lucio."

"What?"

"When are you going to leave her alone?"

"As soon as she stops being stubborn and accepts our ways."

With a deep sigh, he shook his head in resignation.

"Honestly, you can be mature at times, but you can sometimes behave like a child."

"Tch."

Realizing who I was, he returned to me.

"You must be Jennifer Hawkins, yes? I'm sorry for not attending you anytime sooner. An emergency was brought upon me, so I had to leave everything to Lucio here."

"Oh, it is no problem, sir," I said. It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Director."

He smiled.

"Pleasures all mine. Allow me to formally welcome you, my name is Juri Aether and welcome to the Collective Detective Agency."

"A little late to be giving a grandiose welcoming, isn't it?"

"Ah"

Growing sheepish at his remark, he cleared his throat in embarrassment, to his amusement.

"In any case," he interjected, "It's so good to finally meet you, Ms. Hawkins. I knew that your father had a child, but I never imagined you would be the spitting image of him."

"You knew my Father?"

"But of course. We used to be partners back in the day."

"Really now!" I cried. "Father never mentioned you."

"Is that so? Well If he ever told you some of his adventures, then I'm sure it was to make it easy for you to understand. You were but a small child, after all."

"I guess so."

In pain, he squinted his eyes. Melancholy and bitterness haunted him.

"He was a bloody good inspector. Possibly the best of us all. And not only that, but, possibly my greatest friend. We all miss him dearly. My sympathies."

He smiled with a hint of sadness behind those words.

As the cold silence swam between us, my heart ached, for that, that I have lost. It feels like today was the yesterday that I once knew, but the yesterday that I once knew has been lost.

"He talked a lot about you. How you were a curious child and how you were always interested in our investigations. In fact," he paused. "You could say he knew you would choose to work as an investigator, for, he made me promise him to take you in as soon as you were ready to start working."