Chapter VII: Afternoon Brawl

3rd Moon

27th Phase

2018

2:35 pm

A huge sign with the words 'Ol' Ale' sat atop the building. It presented itself as a small two-story building where, up on the porch, fellows were drinking and sharing a game of cards on the tables. Upon entering through the opened doors, the air was filled with the scent of booze and tobacco. Like a betting ring, it was a completely chaotic mess, where our voices were barely audible thanks to the nature of the pub.

"I feel like it will take all afternoon to find our witness with all the people running about here." I remarked.

"I am inclined to agree. We can either split up to cover more ground or we can call everyone's attention."

"Erm, considering we are currently on an investigation, the last thing we need right now is calling attention to ourselves. I suggest we split up."

"Fair point. Then if we're splitting up, please take this."

Mr. Allegro reached into his pocket and retrieved a small device, a transmitter of sorts.

"Put that in your ear. It'll let us stay in touch in case something arises. Take the second floor. I'll stay here in the meantime and speak with some of the regulars and staff to see what I can find."

"Got it. I'll be off then."

With that, I made my way towards the stairs as directed by Mr. Allegro. I was introduced to a long corridor, one room to the left and two rooms to the right. Feeling that I should do my utmost best, I began my search for Mr. Facsimile on the left side. The door on the left was wide opened. It was clean and tidy from the inside, possibly arranged by the housekeeper after the tenant had left. The only thing that caught my attention was a clock that had stopped working on the corner wall. It was marked 10:45. Curious, I made a note of this and took a picture in case it might bear relevance later. As I wrote down this detail, a small object caught my attention. Kneeling, I look below the bed, to which I spotted a small button possibly left by the tenant who had stayed in the room.

"Curious. Judging by the size, this must have been broken from the cuff of a shirt or blazer." I speak.

Realizing that the room had no other features that interested me, I slowly closed the door and tried to make as little noise as possible. Following my inspection, I went to the doors on the right. The first door had a sign next to it that read 'under renovation'. It was filled with some workers possibly doing their yearly maintenance and quality control services so that the room remains habitable. As for the second door, a vacuum apparatus could be heard from inside, a housekeeper possibly doing her cleaning duties right now.

//I could introduce myself and ask her about Mr. Facsimile's whereabouts. Considering this building is not big to begin with, she might have an idea where he is. But then again, I might not have this opportunity and have access to investigate what I can on this floor without interruptions. No, I think it would be best if I examined everything first before talking with anyone.//

It was a quarter past four, and so far, I have not heard anything from my partner. I was beginning to grow worried, for he was staying in radio silence, not updating me in any way or form. And if it was not bad enough, I was not having the best of luck investigating. The balcony presented nothing that seemed out of the ordinary and none of the people there knew about Mr. Facsimile. Growing desperate, I recoup my thoughts and ponder about my next course of action.

"It seems that our person of interest is nowhere to be seen. I think it is safe to assume that must have been where Facsimile stayed for the night. And with no one knowing where he is, then that means..."

"Is everything alright?"

A sudden voice came behind me.

"Eep!"

"Did I scare you? I'm so sorry. It's just I saw you all and about looking at our staying rooms, so I thought it must have been because you are interested in renting a room for the night."

"A-ah! Thank you for the kind offer, but I was just looking for a... friend of mine. I was told that he was staying in a room here in the pub, but I cannot, for the life of me, seem to find him."

"Is that so? Well, I feel that your search shall prove fruitless then. If your friend indeed stayed with us, then I could imagine he has already left by now."

"I figured as much. Is there a way I might know where he went?"

"Unfortunately, I'm just a simple housekeeper, so your guess is as good as mine. If you have any question, you can always go to the front desk and ask Suzy. She keeps in check what comes out and what comes in, so you'll have more luck there."

"I appreciate the suggestion. Thank-"

At that moment something caught my attention, a small crimson like stain on the corner frame of the door next to her. I had come to this door earlier when I spotted the battered clock, but I had not stopped to inspect the actual frame of it. It looked to be already dry, but I was certain that it must be blood.

//Barely visible, but judging by the dryness of it suggests it must have been some time ago. If Facsimile did in fact leave not too long ago, then that must mean that this was before he left. The question is, though, why is there blood there? Peculiar, I should take a picture and let Mr. Allegro know about this.//

"Is something off?" she inquired.

I reacted, remembering that I was not alone.

"Hm? Ah, Apologies! I spaced out there for a moment. I was simply, um, admiring the structural design."

"Of the doors?" she asked, puzzled.

"Y-yeah. I have a friend of mine who's studying interior design, so it just reminded me of him. Do you mind if I take a picture of this corridor?"

"Um, sure."

"Much appreciated. There, perfect. Sorry for the odd request, but I know he would have never stopped bugging me if he did not have reference regarding shiren architectural work."

"It's alright. I'm well aware how friends can be sometimes when it comes to favors."

"Agreed. But, in any case, thank you for all you have done for me. I hope you have a good day."

"Of course! We're always here to help at Ol' Ale. Hope to see you again soon."

Approaching the stairs, I tried communicating with Mr. Allegro, for he has not given me a single during my time investigating the floors. It was in vain, however, for I was not getting any sound of him. Growing worried, I descended the stairs quickly to find out if something was wrong. I finally understood why I was not getting replies.

I was greeted by a hideous scene. The once merry mood I was introduced with turned animalistic, as the jolly patrons were left screaming and yelling curse words at what was unfolding. A confrontation was taking form between my companion and two drunk, burly gentlemen. He was drinking on the table, not paying mind to the surrounding chaos.

"Is that Mr. Allegro? What is he doing?!"

Suddenly, the man with the black vest picked my friend by the collar and looked down upon him.

"I must be imagining things. Can you run that by me again, boy?" he said in anger.

Mr. Allegro was looking at them in annoyance, not paying mind to the height and state of his opponents. Although he appeared to display a sort of poker face, it became noticeable that by his choice of words, he was clearly enjoying this.

"Heh, if your stupidity blocks your hearing capabilities, then allow me to repeat myself: If you got time to drink, then I'm sure you have the time to be quiet. You see, I'm looking for someone right now at the pub and you are making this search rather difficult. Not to mention you've ruined the enjoyment of my drink. What an embarrassment! I expected more from a captain of the Bogshire military fleet!"

"Why you little!"

"Tch, small fries still got a mouth, does he? Looks like we're gonna have to beat this pipsqueak into shape and teach him some manners!"

A sudden flush of air was rippling on the air when suddenly my friend managed to deflect the blow to the side. The shock left both men surprised, with a kick following up as it resonated towards his neck, knocking him up flat on the nearby table set.

"Fred! That's it! You're dead!"

Pulling a knife from his back pocket, he came rushing down towards my friend. As he noticed the brute being armed, he positioned himself into a stance and readied for the lunge. Close enough, he grabbed his dominant hand, tweaked it, released the knife and swept him off his feet, falling upon impact.

The patrons were astonished by the outcome. They were whispering how he had beaten both those regulars without even a sweat despite having a height disadvantage. With the tables broken down and all the utensils on the floor, it was all a complete mess.

"Come now, what ever happened to civilities? And here I thought they would put more of a fight. Hm? Oh Hawkins! Good to see you again. Did you have any luck?"

"Ha-ha, oh you know..."

Approaching him, I pulled him to whisper him anxiously.

"What happened? I thought we agreed to keep a low profile!"

"That was the idea, yes, but as you are keenly aware, I was met with two drunken sailors. I wanted to take advantage of that to further our investigation, but unfortunately, they didn't want to cooperate."

"So, you decide to beat them into submission? What kind of quack plan is that?"

"It's not a 'quack' plan, it was a last resort plan."

"Good Lord, you are insane. Wait, are you hurt? Here, let me call a doc-"

"Nonsense, I'm fine. I'll just clean myself up when we're done for the day. Did you get any findings on his whereabouts?"

As I was going to respond, I felt the pressure everyone directed at our directions with wide-open eyes in complete silence.

"He-he," I laughed sheepishly. "how about we go outside first?"

"Very well."

Outside, next to the alley we continue where we left off.

"Now, what did you find?"

"Unfortunately, not much. I spoke with one of the housekeepers and she mentioned that all tenants that stayed in have already left."

"Regrettable. Any other details that caught your interest?"

"Only two, the first one being a broken-down clock on one of the walls, marking 10:45. I took a picture of it in case you are curious, see for yourself. As for the other one, I noticed a strange crimson like stain on the frame of the door in front of it. It looked dry, but I am certain that it must be blood."

"Fascinating, and no one noticed that?"

"No, not even I would have noticed that if it was not in due to the conversation I had with the housekeeper. Since it is so minimal, it is hard to spot it unless you focus your attention on it."

"I see. Then I'll message Gushi so she can dispatch someone from forensics right now. Anything else?"

"Oh! Actually, yes. I found this small button below the bed of that room as well. I think it might be some cuff button thanks in due part to the size. And when you consider that he was spotted staying here, I bet it is safe to conclude he was staying here."

"How very apt of you! That certainly is a possibility. I'll be sure to look at it. Besides that, is there something else?"

"No, nothing. Like I said, she told us to check the front desk and speak with a lady called Suzy if we were looking for Mr. Facsimile."

"Then what are we standing for? Let's ask her."

Knowing the reputation he has built in the pub, I decided on an alternative.

"I... think it would be best if I ask her, considering the impression you left there."

"What impression?"

//Get a clue please.//

"Hm?"

"Never mind."

"So be it," he shrugged. "Just make sure to get to the point and not waste any more time than what we've done. I'll be on the cab if you need anything else."

//I am pretty sure you were the one wasting time by picking fights at a pub...//

My patience waning with my partner, I entered once more and greeted the beautiful, tanned woman behind the desk. She did not seem to be from around these part for her auburn hair was particularly different in contrast to all the women I have seen so far in this country.

"Hi there!" she greeted amicably. "Will you be renting a room with us?"

"Not today. I actually wanted to ask you a question."

"Well shoot away! We're always happy to help around these parts. What can I do you for?"

"I have been looking for a friend for a while, but I have not seen him. He stayed in one of your rooms. I was told by the housekeeper that they already left, so I wanted to know around what time did he checked out."

"Oh! I see. Well, I can't exactly be telling you what time exactly he left since that information is strictly confidential regarding the privacy of our customers, but what I can tell you is that all of our tenants must check out before 11:00am. Any check out later than that is charged extra for the day."

//11:00. Hold on, the clock stopped working at 10:45. If that is the room he was staying in, might have something happened ten minutes before he left? And then there is the blood. Could it be his or someone else entirely?//

"May I ask where you saw him head?"

"I couldn't make heads or tails where he was going exactly, but he seemed in a hurry. I did see him walk with somebody, though."

"He was with someone?" I asked, alarmed.

"Yeah!"

"And you are sure about that?"

"Yup! I might not look like it, but I always pay attention to people who come and go from the pub."

"Then you must have gotten a glimpse of them, correct?"

"As embarrassing as it sounds, I couldn't. They had some sort of cloak on them, so I couldn't get a clear view. Oh, but they looked small and thin if that's something to go by! Other than that sorry hon," she said in embarrassment.

//Was he planning to skip the country? Surely you would not go away if you were not involved, right? And what of this second person? Could it be perhaps our fourth person Mr. Allegro was alluding to earlier? This plot just keeps thickening the more we keep diving. I have to report this to Mr. Allegro quick.//

"I understand. I appreciate your assistance nonetheless."

Remembering the disruption of Mr. Allegro, I decided to apologize to the lovely lady.

"Ah yes, I almost forgot. My apologies for the confrontation between my friend and those hooligans earlier."

"Oh that? Don't worry about that, dear. We're used to fights happening here, so it was just another day for us. Normally we intervene when the drunks roughhouse a bit, but it seemed that it kind of fixed itself on its own with that pretty boy earlier. Never seen a small jackal like him kick ass like he did, though."

"I am inclined to agree," I said awkwardly. "In any case, I hope you have an excellent day."

"You too! We hope to see you again in Ol' Ale!"