Chapter IX: Symbiotic Guardians

3rd Moon

27th Phase

2018

8:13 am

Barely waking up from my bed, my phone buzzed as my companion had sent me a message with instructions in meeting him at the Agency to discuss our next course of action. I longed to sleep in for the day, like how I used to do. The events of yesterday proved to be exhausting, and I was not ready to return from work. Between the fast-paced workflow and the constant meetings of new characters, it felt like a never-ending story just waiting to continue. However, because the case is far from over and there is much work to be done, I made the push to get off the bed and prepared myself.

Upon entering the Agency, I was greeted with Hypno on reception. In his own rude way, he mentioned that Mr. Allegro had gone to the roof and that he was expecting me. So, without further delay I got on the elevator and followed his the instructions. And with just a few seconds I reach the top floor, the doors opening and exposing an unfamiliar scenery. The sound of two crested tits chirped in rhythm, as the sun rays penetrated throughout the foliage of the giant cherry tree, dancing with the symphony of the wind. It was a beautiful work of art. Placed near were various tables and seats, as well as various gardening tools that helped keep the lone tree alive.

"Oh, Hawkins, you made it," my companion greeted.

//You could say that...//

"Heh, tired I take it? Yeah, I know how hard it is for people to get used to the new work pace. Soon enough, you'll get used to it. Would you like some coffee? I made it just this morning with some of the beans I got from home."

"Is that a fact? And you do not mind?"

"Of course not. Please, enjoy yourself."

"Well, okay. Thank you in advance. Oh yeah, you seem to have recovered relatively well after the brawl yesterday."

"Naturally. It's more soreness than anything, really. It's nothing to worry about, though. Just another day of rest and I'm good to good."

"Well, that is good to hear. Just please try to take better care of yourself. I am not sure how the Agency would react to you getting injured. But good heavens, this coffee is marvelous!"

Upon contact, the acid of the cup played on my tongue, giving me that sensation I craved to wake me up while the aftermath was a bittersweet end that gave me the taste of satisfaction. The flavor was exquisite, for it had a very chocolate like taste, making the experience sweet and perfectly balanced with no actual need to add a sweetener.

"I'm glad you liked it," he smiled proudly.

"And you made this from scratch? That is remarkable!"

"Right? The beans are from a coffee bush I was given a few years ago after helping the Director solve an international case on Amani. The Director lacked the space to cultivate the trees, nor did he find the time to tend to it. So, he decided to give them to me instead. I was hesitant, but I ended up accepting the gift nonetheless. Since then, I've had quite the fascination for the science behind the drink. Whenever I'm not solving a case or filling reports, I usually prefer to study in my house with the hope of creating the perfect coffee blend."

His passion for the subject was showing, and I saw a new side of my companion. As I mentioned, my impression of him was that of a cold individual who would prefer to not chatter idly if it did not involve his interests in the cases he would be working. But between our short time investigating together and his passion for coffee has evidently shown me that he is more human than he prefers to show to others.