Chapter XV: The Truth

3rd Moon

27th Phase

2018

4:51 pm

With everything solved, we decided to stop by the Detention Center to inform everything that had transpired to Mr. Hoper and Ms. Gushiken.

Anxiously waiting for the development in his cell, Mr. Allegro assured him that everything had been taken care of and that he was to be a free man soon enough.

"Good heavens, thank you!" he clamored. "I still can't believe he did the deed, but I'm just grateful that you got that dreadful scoundrel. To think he hired an assassin, only for him to do the deed. What convoluted madness!"

I happily nodded.

"Agreed. I am not sure I can keep up with everything happening so quick. But still, It sure is good that everything worked out. Mystery solved!"

"Not everything," said my astute companion.

"Huh?"

"The deal you and the victim spoke of. It was his inheritance, wasn't it?"

Deadpanned and quiet, he let out a piteous smile.

"I take it Facsimile told you."

"No, I found out about it on my own."

"Inheritance sir?" I asked.

"After I went to the coroner's, I decided to give a quick call to McKenzie and ask some small questions regarding the Primo family. I asked if he had next of kin who would inherit his gains and residency, as the police could not find any will to speak of. He told me that he had once a wife but that she had passed away to a disease from the heart at an early age. Besides his attendants, he spent his life in solitude, for he didn't have friends or family to begin with. He was the last bastion of the Primo family. So, what does he decide to do? He gives it to Hoper. Why? Because he caught wind regarding Facsimile's plot."

"He did? How?"

"Primo was a man who could read people's intention. And while I'm not sure when he found out about it, it was obvious that the man had seen past his deceitful smile, plotting something to kill him. At his current age and condition, he knew that there was no way to stop him from dying. His health, Facsimile, he did not care. He knew that death was near. Which is why he took immediate action: He entrusted his fortune, residency and last name to his beloved right-hand man, Mr. Jeffrey Hoper. In disbelief at the ludicrous request, you got furious and got in a discussion with him, sensing that he was soon to perish and that he had given up the will to continue fighting. Everyone became aware of the issue, but they could understand what the issue was, thanks in due part to the soundproof walls. I have mostly deduced everything, but you're welcomed to correct me if I got something wrong."

Mr. Hoper, glancing at us shares a pained smile.

"You people really are nothing short of amazing. It is as you said, it was about his inheritance."

"You knew about his incoming death, didn't you?"

Defeated, recollecting his last moments with the victim, he clasps his knees in frustration.

"His expression, his physical appearance, it was all too noticeable. Some of my coworkers noticed as well and relayed what they had observed towards, thinking that he was to meet an unfortunate end by some old enemy of his past. As his confidant, I grew worried, for he was mostly a jovial man throughout the establishment. I tried to confront him after he was done with Facsimile. Seeing if I could help him, I offered my services in any way possible. But he just waved me off and told me that it was useless for me to do anything and that a young man such as I should not be involved in his affairs. He was never one to dissuade my assistance. On the contrary, he always welcomed any help his employees offered wholeheartedly. But the man I once knew was gone, and all I saw was a shell marching into his final breath. I insisted on my services once again, but he refused with anger. So, I in frustration, I raised my voice and the rest you already know. I knocked a few things, but what else was I supposed to do? My friend was going to die, and I was powerless. I'm sure you would grow furious if a friend of yourself was going to die at your eyes, and you could do nothing."