78

As Juliet stood in the hallway before lunch talking to a few classmates, Jordan walked up behind her and whispered, "Can I talk to you" into her ear. She turned to look at him ready to say she was busy, but she saw the sad expression that he did a terrible job at hiding. "Yeah." She told him then looked to the others excusing herself.

She followed him to the quad that luckily wasn't full of students just yet. "What's going on?" She asked as he took a seat at a table. "I didn't think much of it, ya know?" He told her.

"Of what?"

"I thought maybe colleges were about to start beating down my door. Why wouldn't they? Back to back state champion. All American platinum. Billy Baker's son. I don't mean to sound cocky but, I'm everything a college could be looking for. So I thought.."

"Jordan, it's still early. You'll get offers." She replied sitting down across from him.

"Not when I'm a medical liability."

"Concussions aren't uncommon in the sport, you're not the first QB to get one."

"What about two in the same season? What about one that landed me in the hospital for two days."

Juliet reached out and grabbed his hands with hers. "I can only imagine how scary it is for you right now feeling like your dream is out of reach. But it isn't. There are options. It may not be a D1 university, but it will allow you to still chase your dream. That has to count for something, right?"

"Right.."

"Wait until after the weekend. Then pout." She told him sitting up, pulling her hands from his.

"Oh, so now I'm pouting?" He chuckled.

"Jordan Baker, you're always pouting." She smiled.

"So I uh.. I talked to Simone last night."

"How'd that go?"

"Good, actually.. I apologized and she even apologized."

"What did she apologize for?"

"She said she knew about my feelings for you from the beginning so it's not fair to hold them against. She appreciated my honesty."

"Sounds like she's looking for a reason to give you guys another shot."

"You think?"

"I do, but there's nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you're going into it for the right reasons this time."

"And not because I think she's pregnant with my baby?"

Juliet let out a laugh and shook her head, "Hell no."

"Hey, how are things with Ky-"

"Good." She lied. "They're good." When in reality she hadn't talked to him since the night at the Cafe. The last thing she wanted was Jordan back peddling on Simone for her again.

"Good. Will you be at the All American game this weekend?"

"Of course." Juliet smiled.

______

"Kimberly, my dear. It's just important that we go."
Ezra was telling his wife as Juliet walked into the house. "And that's fine, but I can't. I have to head back to the studio for the final touches on the spring collection. You know this." She replied.

"New York can wait, no?"

"You are correct, no." She laughed.

"What's going on?" Juliet asked as she walked into the living room for the two to see her.