Chapter 9: The Story of Arthur Leywin

Start from the beginning

I pull out Sylvie's egg from my dimension rune.

"This was the egg she gave me. It holds my daughter, Sylvie, a dragon."

Caera's red eyes go wide at the idea of a dragon being mere feet away from her. There seems to even be a hint of fear in her complexion, likely a consequence of the propaganda Agrona spreads. She's right to be afraid though. The dragons have already decided to wipe the slate clean of humanity.

"After I exited the portal, I was met with a group of slave traders that had abducted a young girl. I slew them all and saved her. That girl turned out to be Tessia Eralith, the princess of the Elven Kingdom of Elenoir. We bonded on the way to the capital city of Zestier, and became even better friends after her grandfather, Elder Virion, told me to become his disciple and learn how to control my beast will. During my stay there, this egg hatched."

I hold out Sylvie's egg once again, then return my elbows to my knees and continue to fidget with the egg.

"Out popped a small black dragon. I named her Sylvie after her mother, Sylvia. She seemed to like the name. She even called me 'Papa.' Shortly after she hatched, I finally was able to go home to my family in Xyrus. I was able to contact them and tell them I was still alive courtesy of an Elven seer named Rinia Darcassan. Tess hated that I had to go, but I promised to see her again someday.

"Once back in Xyrus, I had a heartfelt reunion with my parents and my younger sister, Eleanor- who I had never met until then. I sparred with my father, met the people I ended up calling my uncle and Aunt, the Helsteas, and even got scouted by the Director of Xyrus Academy, Cynthia Goodsky.

"To my parent's chagrin, I decided to become an adventurer. They allowed it on the condition that I visited them often and had a chaperone. I gladly accepted. From there, I went adventuring with one of the Twin Horns, Jasmine Flamesworth. We bonded and she's almost like a big sister figure now.

"On our last dungeon crawl, I almost died in a dungeon known as the Dire Tombs because of a kid named Lucas Wykes. He betrayed us, firing a blast of fire at me and Jasmine before fleeing the dungeon.

"In my wrecked state, I had no other choice than to dig deep and use my beast will. I activated the first stage, an ability I called Static Void. It froze time. Thanks to it, I managed to kill the Elderwood Guardian, an S-class mana beast. Unknown to us at the time, it was corrupted.

"With the beast core in hand, I made my way out of the dungeon after a boy named Elijah saved Jasmine and me. Elijah became my best friend. That day, I swore vengeance again, against Lucas. Should I have? Probably not.

"I planned to kill him immediately. However, I was warned that if I did, I'd have one of the most powerful Dicathians on my back, Bairon Wykes. He was Lucas' older half-brother, and soon-to-be Human Lance, codenamed Thunderlord. Until I could beat him, I couldn't touch Lucas, not without reason.

"I ended up attending Xyrus Academy at 12 with my new best friend, Elijah. There, I reunited with Tess, told her to wait for me romantically, and gave her the corrupted Elderwood Guardian beast core, with its beast will intact. I regret that still to this day.

"Shortly after, I was approached by the Director to join the Disciplinary Committee. I begrudgingly accepted on the condition that I could take higher-level classes and get a private training room.

"I joined the DC, attended classes, beat a professor's ass, took over his class, and nearly died again thanks to Tess' beast will acting up. It was all going well until people started terrorizing the school. They all had runic carvings down their spine."

Caera's eyes quickly flit to the ground in shame. She knows what follows. It's unfair that she feels that she has to bear the weight of her overlord's decisions. Nothing that happened that day was her fault.