10 - Andrew

It takes me a moment to register what's happening

It takes me a moment to register what's happening. The fact that I thought my brother had graduated and is staying with his friends, makes me feel like I'm a fool. He hadn't been visiting, maybe once or twice a year, and barely calling. Indeed, he took his time to graduate, which is totally fine, but he completely ignored our existence, my existence.

I look up at his shocked face and anger fills my body. All this time, he has been what? Working for the mafia?

"Ana..." His voice is shaking as he looks at me with guilt.

I look around to see if anyone knew, but from their shocked faces, I don't think they did.

"You know her?" Rafael asks, furrowing his brows.

Andrew swallows and nods. "She's my sister. The one I told you about."

I hear someone cursing, but I don't know who. The only thing I could think about is how angry I am.

I look at Andrew with the fire burning in my eyes. I still can't comprehend what's happening. How is he here? The fucker left us, let me, and joined a mafia. Why? What happened to him? He left us and we never knew anything about him. The only times he comes back home were on Christmas and New Year. Not even our birthdays.

"Ana...please say something," Andrew pleads, keeping a good space between us.

I want to hit him, yell at him, and make him feel like shit, but the only thing that I do is answer him coldly because I don't want to show him how much he hurt me.

I look around the room and my eyes land on Rafael's gun. Oh, how much I want to shoot Andrew's leg to take my revenge. The funny part is that Rafael saw me looking at his gun and he tightens his hold on it, thinking that I'd actually use it.

I look back at Andrew, who still has a pleading look on his face, and say, "Well, what do you want me to say? Nice to see you, bro?"

I glare at him and march inside the house, leaving him outside. The tears which I suppressed start coming down. I run to my room and start crying my eyes out.

I feel betrayed, humiliated, and hurt.

I tried. I tried leaving the house, but my father was a control freak. He let my brother go because he was a boy. Boys could do anything they want, according to him. Besides, he loved Andrew more. Andrew is two years older than me. I used to cling to him whenever I was scared of my parents. He knew that. He knew how much they expected from me and when I couldn't deliver what would happen. Yet, he left. He left to live the life he wanted, away from my parents. I shouldn't blame him, but I can't help but feel betrayed and hurt.

I was alone in that house.

I keep sobbing that I don't hear the door opening. I feel a hand around my shoulder, making me flinch slightly.

"Hey, it's me," Victoria says, making me relax.

I look at her and bury my face in her neck as I continue crying. She pats my back gently, not telling me to stop. She's letting me take it all out, which I am very grateful for.