Home

"I don't care if it makes me a basic bitch, but all I'm getting from Starbucks are pumpkin spice lattes from now until December."

Lisa took a sip of her coffee and theatrically closed her eyes to prove her love of the seasonal drink to Jennie.

"Mmm, it's the taste of fall." Despite herself, a smile quirked Jennie's mouth.

"It's the taste of a chemical shitstorm, Lisa. There's no actual pumpkin in that coffee."

Lisa tsked. "Well, this fall-flavored chemical shitstorm is delicious." She shrugged and walked towards her closet.

"I probably love it so much because pumpkin spice lattes aren't really a thing back home. It's hard to get into fall-themed stuff when it's sunny and hot every day in SoCal, you know?

From her knees on the floor in front of the closet, Lisa pulled out a fuzzy burgundy sweater and held it up to show Jennie.

"Like wearing oversized sweaters like these! They're so cozy and when you're outside in the autumn chill it's like being wrapped in a warm hug!"

Lisa smiled brightly and rubbed her face on the fuzzy material. Jennie groaned inwardly.

Dammit. Why is she so freaking cute?

Sweater weather is a pretty nice feature of living in the Midwest, Jennie conceded softly as she watched her roommate.

Idly thinking about how nice it would feel to nuzzle her face into that sweater as Lisa cuddled her on a couch, they sipped warm beverages, and green tea for her, and Lisa could have that atrocious pumpkin spice latte monstrosity.

When the bronde crossed her arms over her torso and gripped the bottom hem of her shirt, Jennie spun away in her swivel chair.

She kept her back turned as Lisa changed into the sweater, her spine rigid and muscles tense.

This was just one other thing that was driving her crazy. Lisa changed her clothes in their room.

Lisa was in various stages of undress, like in the mornings when the bronde would roll out of bed or get ready for class.

She would always avert her eyes the second she saw Lisa without her shirt on, walking out of their en suite bathroom after a shower in just her jeans and bra.

Looking at her felt wrong, it felt dangerous. It would always make her stomach burn.

But inevitably her eyes would trail back to Lisa's form, like a magnetic pull.

Jennie would only stealthily glance at her half-dressed roommate when the girl was toweling her hair dry or was looking at something else. She would always time her secret stares just right.

Except for this time. Her gaze lingered on Lisa who was pulling on the sweater a little too long, a little too intensely.

Lisa's head popped through the neck hole of the sweater and their eyes met. Jennie looked away hastily and she prayed the heat she felt on her face wasn't manifesting into an actual blush.

Lisa rose from the floor and shouldered her purse.

"All right, catch you later" Jennie glanced back at Lisa, who smirked at her.

"Have fun at the haunted hayride." Jennie cleared her throat and started shuffling the papers on her desk.

"They have really good apple cider and donuts there too. You sure you don't want to come?"

"Maybe next time. Thanks for inviting me."

Lisa left their room with a wave. After a couple of minutes, Jennie went to the window and watched Lisa and a bunch of people pile into a black Escalade in front of their house.