Caught

TW: slight homophobia

The evening was going perfectly. In fact, it couldn't have been better. Besides the fact that we couldn't be out on the dance floor together like all the couples, that is. I chose to look at the bright side, appreciating the intimacy of the moment. It was just me, my soulmate, and the stars. We swayed slowly in each other's arms and I could smell the scent of her fragrant perfume. I brought her in for a kiss, but it was short-lived. 

Within an instant, our evening was ruined.

"Cherry," his voice boomed as he swayed drunkenly, standing in front of us.

We separated immediately. I looked over at her and saw as she stood wide-eyed. Fear was evident in her expression. Her mouth was agape like she was trying to speak, but no sound came out.

"What the fuck is going on here?" Bob spoke angrily. 

I watched him carefully. His knuckles were white from how hard he was clutching his flask. There were lipstick marks on his collar and he had a disheveled appearance. I swore I could smell the whiskey on his breath from where I was. 

"One of you, answer me," he yelled.

Still, neither of us spoke, unsure of how to explain what was going on.

"Cherry, come here right now," he ordered, his free hand now in his back pocket.

At his demand, I wrapped my arm around Cherry's waist. He'd already caught us and we had no way out. I wasn't going to let him near her, at least not in this state. I could feel Cherry trembling against me.

"You know, I thought you were cheating on me. I didn't expect this, though. This is disgusting," he spat.

"The only thing that's disgusting here is you," I snapped.

"Shut it, fag," he yelled, whipping out a pocket knife.

He pointed the blade at me, though there was still distance between us.

"Cherry, come here. Right now," he commanded, stepping closer to us.

Despite how hard I held on, she moved to him. He began to back away, his arm secured tightly around Cherry. He wore a smug smile on his face and he believed he'd won. In a moment of pure drunk stupidity, he put the knife down. and let go of Cherry so he was only holding her hand. I lurched forward, knocking him backward. I had him in a position where I was straddling his chest, his arms pinned to his sides. My fist made contact with his face and as I did so the first time, I could feel my unease settling a little. I continued to punch him, but he fought back. He was stronger than he looked. Apparently, Bob, or maybe just shitfaced Bob, was not afraid of fighting a girl. He was now on top, his fists flying, though many of his punches were weak or simply missed me because of his state. I continued to struggle against him and I could hear Cherry's pleas for us to stop. 

Soon, it felt as though all I could hear were Bob's grunts as we fought. I couldn't feel anything really, not with all the adrenaline coursing through my veins, but I knew I'd feel it in the morning. God knows how long we were fighting before someone else grabbed ahold of Bob's arms. The person I'd begun to recognize as Soda was pulling him off me. As he did so, I was able to nail one more punch to Bob's nose. I heard it crack and blood started to gush from it. Soda successfully got Bob off me and he was now slumped over himself on the ground, barely sitting upright. I picked his knife off the ground and opened the blade. I carefully put it right under his chin and used it to lift his head enough so he could see me.

"Get the fuck out of here and never, and I mean never, talk to Cherry and me again, got it?" I spoke firmly, "And if you ever tell anyone about us, I'll make sure the entire school thinks you're a fag, too."

With that, Soda let go of him. Bob scrambled to his feet before running off. We all watched as he tripped over himself getting to his car. I wiped the blood off my face and put my arm around Cherry possessively, only satisfied when Bob's taillights were no longer visible in the dark night sky.