Boyfriend

Throughout the next couple of weeks, Cherry and I grew much closer. I had even hung out with her and Marcia a couple of times. I also kept going on dates with Christian, despite Cherry's previous warning. We were only going out in secret, though. I think Chris was partially scared of Dallas, though he'd never admit it.

It was a Friday afternoon sometime in fall and Chris and I had been sitting on the steps of his front porch. He reached across me, pulling a pack of cigarettes out of his jacket that he had draped over my shoulders. He offered me one and when I agreed, he lit both of them. He then wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer.

"Y/N," he called softly, looking down.

"Yes," I answered, making eye contact.

"What do you say we make it official, baby?" he asked.

Sure I was still slightly hung up on Cherry, but it was never gonna happen so why not try and move on.

"Okay," I answered.

He grabbed my chin and pulled me in for a kiss. The butterflies I got from him didn't compare to the ones I felt when I was near Cherry, though.

I'm fucked, I thought.

-

Cherry had invited me over that same weekend, and of course, I agreed. I had also decided to tell her about my relationship. I couldn't hide it from her forever. I knocked on her door, nervously fidgeting with my fingers while waiting.

"Hey, Y/N," Cherry greeted.

"Hey," I said shyly, still fidgeting.

"Is there something wrong?" she asked as we walked into the house.

"No," I lied.

She didn't believe me, I could tell, but she let it slide for now. We hung out like usual though the thought of telling Cherry about my relationship still lingered. Towards the end of the day, she decided she had had enough and wanted to know what was wrong. She dragged me onto the couch and put my hands in hers.

"Come on, Y/N, you know you can tell me anything," Cherry assured.

I took a deep breath in and sighed, preparing myself.

"You know how I had gone on a date with that Christopher guy?" I asked.

"Yeah..." Cherry nodded

"Well,  I know you said he had a bad past with girls, but he told me he changed. And honestly, he didn't seem like that bad a guy," I began

"Long story short, we went out a couple more times and yesterday night he asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes," I ranted quickly, not taking breaks between my words.

A look of pain flashed across her eyes, so brief I had almost missed it. Once it was gone, she sat there shocked, her mouth was slightly open. 

"Cherry?" I asked

"Are you out of your mind?" she yelled

"Wha-" I began

"I- I mean, seriously, do you have a death wish or something? He's a manipulative piece of shit. I told you this and- and you still kept going out with him. I can't believe it," she ranted, pacing around

"Cherry, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. People change," I said.

"Not him," she said simply.