Threats

The next morning was slow and boring. I spent most of it lounging around the room and reading, occasionally going into the washroom to splash my face with cold water in an attempt to get rid of my puffy eyes. Darry and Soda must've been at work and Ponyboy's nose was probably stuck in a book as no sound came from the house.

Eventually, I didn't look like I had been crying so I decided to head down to the kitchen and get some food. I was right, Ponyboy was on the couch reading, Darry and Soda were nowhere to be found.

"Hey Pony," I greeted.

"Wow, you're up early," he said sarcastically.

"I've been up for a while. I was reading," I remarked.

He quickly shot up his head, giving me a confused look.

"You read?" he asked.

"Yeah? Why wouldn't I?" I said.

"Well, Dallas doesn't read," he said.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not Dallas," I said sarcastically.

"You just didn't strike me as the type to read."

"Well, I do. Just finished a book."

"Really? wha-"

Before Pony could finish his question, someone opened the door aggressively.

"Where were you last night?" Dallas boomed causing Pony to quickly get up and leave the room.

"I was out, not that it's any of your business," I replied calmly.

"It is my business. I was here for hours waiting for you to come home," he yelled.

"I didn't ask you to do that," I said.

"No, I did it cause I was worried," he admitted.

"Okay, sorry, I was out," I apologized.

"You can't just leave and come back whenever you want," he scolded.

"Why? You do it," I questioned.

"Because I'm your older brother," he answered lousily.

"You don't act like it half the time," I muttered.

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked.

"I mean you drink, smoke, sleep with girls every other night and God knows what else. Then you show up every couple of days to say hello and disappear with one of the boys," I answered.

"That's different," he said.

"Is it? You think I don't worry about you? You think I don't worry about your health or what you're doing, if you're out stealing someone's car or rotting away in a jail cell? Shit, what'd you think I felt when you left, huh? When I sat in the apartment just waiting for you to come back and you didn't? I waited for days, days, Dallas!" I yelled, tears threatening to spill.

"Will you just let it go already? You don't think I felt bad every day for leaving you behind?" he yelled back.

"No, I don't. You started a whole new life, not even bothering to tell people I existed, not even bothering to write or- or just let me know you were fucking alive! Now I come find you and you think you can tell me what to do and get upset when I don't get home by 12 am?" I said, storming off into my room.

Once I got there, I sat on the bed, allowing myself to cool off. I heard the door slam shut and assumed it was Dallas.

About 10 minutes later, my door opened and there stood my brother, an almost empathetic regretful look on his face.