Spring Formal

A couple of days later, we were all released from the hospital. Thankfully, the entire case blew over, probably because in the eyes of the police he was just another filthy greaser who got what was coming to him. We were able to return to regular life, only receiving dirty looks from Chris's friends, but they were all too scared to do anything more. Cherry and I managed to keep hiding our relationship and the only people I told were Soda and Dally, but as we got more and more serious, we felt like we needed more. 

The cold wind of winter had been replaced with fresh spring air, trees became full again and flowers began to blossom. We could finally walk around without thick coats. With spring, came spring formal, a school dance that wasn't as fancy as prom, but not casual. Of course, Bob asked Cherry, and of course, she said yes, but she figured this would be the perfect time to do something new. School was boring as ever when Cherry asked me to secretly go with her. She'd picked a simple way of asking, passing me a note, and I knew why; she was nervous. Despite months of dating, Cherry still got flustered when I threw a kissed herway or simply gave her a kiss, asking me to a dance was bound to make her a stuttering blushing mess. I said yes, and spring formal became our "more." 

As it inched closer and closer, we found ways to secretly match. We picked dresses in similar colours, hers much more expensive than mine, and we even had matching earrings, which her flowy hair would hide. Despite how meaningless this all seems to others, Cherry and I thought it would be a way to be secretly public. 

The day of the dance came quick. It was a Friday, and I had last seen Cherry in school, meaning I was going to get ready alone. Soda had insisted on coming with me, as my "date," though it didn't take much convincing. It was a win-win situation; he wouldn't question why I was not around him all the time and he would get to live out his high school dream a little more. 

I barely saw Cherry in school on the day of the dance since she was helping decorate the gym. When school was out, she was still decorating, so I just went home. When I opened the door, Soda jumped up.

"Hey Y/N," he greeted ecstatically.

"Hey Soda. What're you doing home?" I asked.

"I got off early, for the dance," he explained.

"You seem more excited than me," I laughed.

"That's not much of a challenge," he remarked.

"Oh shut it, I'm excited," I giggled.

"Mhm..." he hummed unconvinced.

"Dances aren't really my thing," I admitted.

"So why're you going?" he asked teasingly.

"Shut up," I smiled, shoving his arm playfully before walking upstairs.

I began to get ready. I showered, did my makeup and fixed up my hair, all with help from Soda, who for being a teenage boy, has impeccable taste. Lastly, I slipped into my dress and accessorized. 

As I began to go down the stairs, I hoped that the living room would be empty besides Soda. Much to my dismay, it was full. I was greeted with wolf whistles coming from all around. 

"Oh, fuck off," I said jokingly.

"Can't take compliments, can she Dal?" Two-Bit joked, earning him a smack on the back of the head from me.

"Where's Soda?" I asked.

"He's just putting his suit on," Darry said.

"I need a smoke," I said before stepping outside. of

I stood outside for a couple minutes before hearing the door creak open. Dally stepped out onto the porch. He picked the cigarette out from in between my index and middle finger and took a drag.