- c h a p t e r - t e n -

Start from the beginning

    Cedric stared hard at her, and she felt heat crawling up her cheeks under his gaze, "I promise! Now, you better get to lunch before Justin eats all the food!"

    For a brief moment, he was still before he grinned, "You're observant."

    Gemma was sure her face was blood red, "I try."

    Cedric squeezed her shoulder gently before saying, "See you around, Gemma."

    "Bye, Cedric..."

    She watched him leave until Professor Lupin cleared his throat, his brows raised.

    Gemma's wonderings about the professor hit her in the face, and she could only stare at the scars on his face, wondering where they were from.

    "You and him...are you...?" The professor awkwardly asked.

    Gemma blinked before her face turned red again, "No! No! I'm far too young right now!"

    He seemed to sag with relief as he nodded, "Alright." They went silent again before his eyes fell on the notes, and he murmured, "When did you start studying potions a few grades above you?"

    Fear filled her, "Professor, please, I can explain---"

    "It's all quite impressive. I've only seen a couple people with this memory and intuitiveness with Potions..."

    "I am so---" Her voice stopped as she processed what the professor said. "Wait...what?"

    He grinned at her softly, "You're talented."

    She blinked, "Oh...um, thank you, sir?"

    He passed them back to her, "Don't let Snape find them. He'll be angry that a thirteen-year-old is better at his job than he is."

    Gemma's lips lifted into a lopsided grin, "I think he already suspects as much."

    "Do you ace his class?" He raised his brows significantly.

    Gemma bobbed her head, "I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with great marks in his class in Gryffindor. Except for Hermione."

    Professor Lupin smiled, nodding slowly, "Good...good." He passed her the notes back, "Go along. Lunch is almost over, and you don't want to pass out during class."

    Gemma took them and chuckled, "I guess that would be quite traumatising."

    "Just a little bit." They both laughed in the empty hall until the professor started to move to his classroom again, "Have a good afternoon, Miss Hilton."

    As he walked away, Gemma plucked up the courage to call, "The full moon!"

    The professor froze and every slowly turned around, his face ghostly pale, "What did you say?"

    That reaction was enough for Gemma.

    She was right.

    She had to be.

    She shrugged nonchalantly, the fib slipping from her lips expertly, "It was really pretty the night of Christmas! What a wonder that we got to see it on one of the most magical days of the year too!"

    The professor was trying to compose himself, "Y-yes, I suppose you're right."

    Gemma smiled a little at him, "Bye, Professor!"

    And she bolted before he could say anything else.

    She ran all the way up to the common room to drop off the first pile of books when Hermione ran into her.