- c h a p t e r - s e v e n -

Gemma stared around the Great Hall, trying not to jump at every sound.

    Dumbledore had decided that all the students from every House would be having a giant sleepover in the Great Hall while they searched for Sirius Black.

    She pulled her knees up to her chest as Hermione whispered, "Do you think Black's still in the castle?"

    "Dumbledore obviously thinks he might be," Ron answered her.

    "It's very lucky he picked tonight, you know...The one night we weren't in the tower..."

    Gemma slid into her sleeping bag, fully clothed, listening quietly.

    "I reckon he's lost track of time, being on the run," Ron suggested, glancing around the room. "Didn't realise it was Halloween. Otherwise, he'd have come bursting in here."

    Gemma pressed her lips together as she tried to ignore all of the conspiracies flying around the room, everyone wondering just how Sirius Black got into Hogwarts.

    Some kids kept saying that he somehow flew in.

    "Honestly, am I the only person who's ever bothered to read Hogwarts, A History?" Hermione snipped.

    "Other than Gemma, probably..." Ron muttered. "Why?"

    "Because the castle's protected by more than walls, you know. There are all sorts of enchantments on it to stop people entering by stealth. You can't just Apparate in here. And I'd like to see the disguise that could fool those Dementors. They're guarding every single entrance to the grounds. They'd have seen him fly in too. And Filch knows all the secret passages, they'll have them covered..."

    "The lights are going out now!" Percy's voice cut her off from continuing her lesson. "I want everyone in their sleeping bags and no more talking!"

    The candles blew out, and Gemma's eyes widened as everything went dark for a few moments before her eyes adjusted.

    She tried to sleep in her place between Hermione and Harry, but she was too wired to even think about actually sleeping.

    Gemma, every hour when a professor would come to check on them, would silently listen to any conversation between Percy and whatever teacher was around. But when Professor Dumbledore, she feigned sleep, praying that Harry, who was awake, was doing the same beside her.

    "Any sign of him, Professor?" Percy asked quietly.

    "No. All well here?" The professor responded just as equally as quietly.

    "Everything is under control, sir."

    "Good. There's no point moving them all now. I've found a temporary guardian for the Gryffindor portrait hole. You'll be able to move them back in tomorrow."

    "And the Fat Lady, sir?"

    "Hiding in a map of Argyllshire on the second floor. Apparently, she refused to let Black in without the password, so he attacked. She's still very distressed, but once she's calmed down, I'll have Mr. Filch restore her."

    The door to the hall opened again, and Gemma almost turned her head to see who it was, but the drawling voice told her who it was.

    "Headmaster?" Snape inquired. "The whole of the third floor has been searched. He's not there. And Filch has done the dungeons; nothing there either."

    "What about the Astronomy tower? Professor Trelawney's room? The Owlery?" Professor Dumbledore started to list off places.

    "All searched..."