- c h a p t e r - f i v e -

tw: implications of abuse + trauma symptoms 

________________________________________________________________________________

    Gemma was scribbling random images in the corner of her notes.

    This doodle was of the dog from the alleyway, but instead of looking scary, it was sitting with its head tilted to the side in a cute puppy-ish way.

    "I didn't know you could draw..." Harry whispered to her from the desk on her right.

    She shrugged, "I don't do it all the time. Just randomly."

    "Well, it's really good," He smiled at her.

    She grinned back at him, "Thanks, Harry."

    "He's right, it is very good," A quiet voice said.

    Gemma jumped again, and her eyes raised to Professor Remus Lupin's face.

    He did not look as sick as he did on the train, but his clothes were still quite shabby.

    He peered down at her and her drawing with his jade green eyes, a ghost of a smile on his lips.

    She looked down at the little doodle and then back at him with a shy grin on her lips, "Thank you, sir."

    He nodded before moving to the front of the class, "Good afternoon. Would you please put all your books back in your bags. Today's will be a practical lesson. You will need only your wands."

    Gemma tucked her books and quill away again, holding her wand in her hands, her fingers running mindlessly over the engravings of stars, flowers, and the moon near the bottom.

    "Right then," Professor Lupin nodded. "If you'd follow me."

    Gemma stood, walking with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and as they entered an empty corridor, she pulled Harry and Ron in front of her, "Hide me!"

    A few of the other Gryffindors actually gathered around them as well when they spotted him too.

    Peeves, the poltergeist, was just floating upside down in mid-air, stuffing chewed gum into the keyholes of various classrooms.

    The little man did not look up under Professor Lupin was just a couple feet away, and then he started to sing, "Loony, loopy Lupin. Loony, loopy Lupin, loony, loopy Lupin..."

    Gemma's jaw dropped at his attitude towards the teacher.

    Her eyes fell on Professor Lupin's face and her brows raised to see him just grinning.

    "I'd take that gum out of the keyhole if I were you, Peeves," Professor Lupin told him kindly. "Mr. Filch won't be able to get into his brooms." 

    Gemma was totally baffled at his kindness to the annoying poltergeist, who just in return spat at him crudely.

    The professor sighed a little, pulling out his wand. He turned, looking at everyone, but his eyes fell on Gemma, and she had a feeling he was explaining this to her, "This is a useful little spell. Please watch closely." He pointed the wand at about shoulder height and exclaimed, "Waddiwasi!"

        Gemma's eyes goggled from her head as the gum flew from the keyhole and shot right into Peeve's nose.

        She let out a laugh at his shocked face, and his eyes swivelled at her, and before he flew away cursing loudly, he gave a loud, unnecessary howl.